scott
scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Bumper to bumper technician24 years Bumper to bumper technician all makes
12331040

Toyota Tacoma: I have a 1993 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with the off

I have a 1993 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with the off road package that I'm buying and the transmission oil is like a dark red. I took it back to dealer and they said they would not change it without hurting the trans or ruining the trans...its got 211,000 miles on it and i dont think it ever been changed. Is it possible to have this changed?

scott :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly assist you with your vehicle concern.

Customer:

Hi this Micheal

scott :

The fact that it is still a shade of red, tells me it was changed at one time; however, the first generation Tacoma was 1995. Are you sure this is not an SR5 Pick up?

scott :

Hi Micheal

Customer:

Yes this a sr5 extended cab pickup

scott :

Great. The new fluid will only be a redish/pink anyway, and as you probably already know, if it had never been changed, it would have been coffee color or worse, so dark red is not so bad.

scott :

as far as waht the dealer said, to a point it is an old wives tail and some fact

scott :

See, if the fluid had been neglected for some time, and varnish starts to build in the transmission along the valve body circuits, new fluid can tend to try to dissolve this varnish; thus, cause a problem as it sloughs off.

scott :

This is why on older vehicles, in situations like yours, I recommend a "Transmission Flush" by using a "Heated pluse Flusher"

Customer:

ok the dealer said if i had it changed at this point it would hurt the trans....i thought that they all (90-current) had the life time filter and all you had to do was to have it hooked to a machine that push out old oil and put in new oil

scott :

This will reduce the chances of what I mentioned above, due to the flushing. Just servicing the trans, you leave in old fluid, and don't really flush anything. Also, the Dextron Fluid has a lot of detergent in it to keep the trans clean, but as it get sold, and accumulates clutch material from the clutches and steels in the drums, it degrades the fluid, thus the coffee color, or the darker color.

scott :

Many shops do not have heated/pulse flusher. You may need to call a transmission specialist if the dealer or none of the independent shops in your areas do not have one.

scott :

Remember, the flush is Better than the drain and fill, and NO filter is life time.

Customer:

ok the dealer gave me a 30 day warranty for anything inside the trans and motor...would this have fallen under the warranty?

scott :

What you have is basically a "Screen" that needs to be cleaned when the pan is dropped. Even when they do the flush, they will still have to do that.

scott :

The good news, since it is Dextron fluid, it will not be as expensive as the newer vehicles. reasonable should be around $150.00, depending on where you live.

Customer:

ok but would it fall under warranty for inside trans?

scott :

Technically, if you have a "used Car Warranty" and it was not a "Wear Issue" it should. I am assuming you are buying a used car warranty with this unit?

Customer:

the warranty was for 30 days for anything inside trans and inside motor nothing on the outside...kinda figure the oil was inside with the screen...

scott :

Yeah, I figured as much. That warranty, if it is a "Wear Issue, they may weasel out of it. Usually only a "Breakage" of an internal part will be covered... plus,m you can't blame them, it does have over 200 K on it.

Customer:

ok can i ask another question

scott :

If you plan on keeping this truck for a while, the flush is not a bad idea. Like I said, if it still resembles red, you're doing better than most. If it were my ride, I would flush it. Dealer is just being cautious.

scott :

Go a head

scott :

ahead... sorry

Customer:

i asked them to change the rear main seal because i smell oil burning on exhust and they said it wasnt seal but it was the oil seal on the heads...i didnt think those would leak for along time...when i was tearing engines dowm

scott :

Micheal... you still there?

Customer:

yes

scott :

It came up when I hit enter....

Customer:

i type slow sorry

scott :

Yes, an engine with that many miles and age, not uncommon for oil to leak from the back of the heads; however, the valve cover gaskets have the 1/2 moons in the back, and those could also be leaking, as when they get older, they get crusty and shrink.

scott :

My bey, it is those.

scott :

Look, if this truck was 1/2 way taken care of, it will be a good truck. Toyota's are pretty much bullet proof... if they are not abused.

Customer:

had them changed about aweek before

scott :

Just the gaskets or the gaskets and the 1/2 moons. If you had a shop do it, some kits don't add the 1/2 moons.

Customer:

its a one owner plus the dealer and yes it was tooken care of got a real good deal on it

scott :

If both were done,and nothing was misaligned or pinched... then yes, most likely coming from the head gasket.

scott :

If these are your only issues on a 20 year old vehicle, you are doing well.

Customer:

they took it to a shop not to sure if tit was both

scott :

I would go ahead with the flush, and verify that the complete valve gasket set was done.

scott :

If it were my truck

scott :

Is that all?

Customer:

ok i will thanks so much you have answer all my questions if i have any more question i will come back big thanks

scott :

Thanks. Feel free to look me up, and Thank you in advance for the accept.