Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40+ years all makes and modles
5784781

Toyota 4Runner: why timing belt marks wont align after installing

why timing belt marks wont align after installing the cams on a 96 4runner 3.4

Don Knight :

You have the left head correctly but the right side is the same.One dot to one dot,not two dots to two dots.Put the right side cams with one dot to one dot and your cam gears should align with the timing marks on the back of the timing cover.please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

Customer:

yes it makes sense but i dont know why all the manual tell me it has to be 2 dots to 2 dot on the right side do you have any diagram ?

Don Knight :

I have Mitchell on demand but from experience I have done several of these motors and they are all the same.Once you lign up the cams dot to dot then you will see that the front marks on the timing cover will line up as they are supposed to.

Customer:

ok then im going to do that and if put it one dot to one that is the timing mark on the pulley supposed to be exact or is ok if i have to move litle bit?

Customer:

4 runner started perfect thanks..