Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

Toyota Corolla: My 2013 locks in park and I can only start

My 2013 locks in park and I can only start it by pressing the override button. It doesn't do it every time but there is no telling when it will do. What could be the problem?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting us with your questions. Is this a problem starting the engine, or only getting it out of park? How many miles are there on this vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

getting it out park I have to press an override button then shift to neutral and the car will start. 1800 miles on the vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no trouble starting the engine. It just won't come out of park unless I use the procedures mentioned on page 450 of the owners manual which are: 1. turn the ignition key to acc. 2 Foot firmly on brake. 3. Remove cover and press shift override button.4. Put car in neutral and then start it. It will now shift to all gears. There is only 1800 miles on the car. It is a new corolla.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for taking so long. I was offline when you came back online. The first thing to check here is, do your brake lights work when this is happening. How far are you from your closest Toyota dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

brake lights work I am 5 miles from Toyota dealer

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Your brake light switch serves a dual purpose. Along the with lighting the brake lights, it releases the park lock mechanism. The switch is likely your issue here. That being said, your vehicle is under warranty and you realky should consider visiting your dealer for a warranty repair. This will cost you nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would it be a brake light switch if the brake lights come on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand the answer. I had my daughter check the brake lights while I was doing it and they work fine

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 parts to that switch, so still likely the switch. You ARE under the factory bumper to bumper warranty.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician