Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a Toyota Tercel 1996, the check the engine light is on and off

Customer Question

I have a Toyota Tercel 1996, the check the engine light is on and off for the last 3 months. The local service worked on it for at least 2 weeks that don't have a clue, what's wrong.
They replaced the spark plugs. Then the light was off for a while but the car started to misfire (intermittent) when I was waiting at a red light; then they replaced the feed? the the sparkplugs, it did not help. They tinkered with it, it doesn't misfire so much anymore, but seems to have a slight problem with accelerating right away after a stop sign, and the light is on again.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! You have this listed both as a T100 and as a Tercel. Which is it? Do you have the malfunction code numbers that are set in the engine control computer causing the check engine light to illuminate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tercel; I do not know the malfunction code; I was told today by my mechanic, that the code they got from the computer wasn't a faulty code

If the check engine light is on or has been on in the last 30 keystrokes then there will be a malfunction code set in the computer. This needs to be retrieved with some type of code reader or scan tool. If it is currently on or has been on and you can get to a nearby auto-parts stores like AutoZone in most states they do free malfunction code reads. I would need to know what the code numbers are in order to advise you as to a course of action.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry, but you did not really help me.

As I wrote in the shop the guys cannot figure out what's wrong with it; they did not tell me the code.

OK, I was naive and hoped for a miracle.

Most likely I have to find another shop...

Thanks for your try anyway - we can stop here, and if you don't mind I do not want to pay for this advice

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to finish this conversation, but I don't seem to be able to leave the page, if I indicate that I'm not satisfied with the answer, the only options I have are to ask another question or the ask someone else...

Just disregard the information It keeps coming back to you. I sent a note to the moderator to close the question. You have not paid for anything you have merely made a deposit into your just answer account for future use if you do not continue with this question. Do not reply to this question any further unless you want additional help with this problem. If you still get emails you will need to contact the website to have this resolved I do not know how that works from your end.