Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Corolla DX: am2 fuse keeps blowing interupts power to

am2 fuse keeps blowing interupts power to fuel pump. engine turns over will not start. is this a short inside the distributor? I am also seeing that I should replace the condensor in the distributor.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Does the fuse blow as soon as the ignition is turned on or does it have to start and run for a while to pop it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

blows instantly when key in on position. No power is going to fuel pump which is new.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fuse burnsout immedialywhen key turned on. no power is going to fuel pump so starter turns engine but no fuel. engune will start with starter fluid into air cleaner. fuel pump works fine just no power.

The most common failure is the capacitor as you mentioned but I needed to make sure that it is blowing as soon as you turn the key on this would rule out anything in the fuel pump circuit. The fuel pump is not energizing until the key is turned to the start position or the engine is running. Disconnect the connectors going to the distributor. Turn the key to the on position see if the fuse still blows. If it does not then the problem is isolated in the distributor. Remove the distributor cap And locate the wire going to the one side of the ignition coil that goes down to the capacitor. Clip that wire or remove the eyelet from the ignition coil and reattach the other wire. Plug the distributor back in and turn the key on and see if the fuse holds. It does then you know for certain it is the capacitor. You can purchase these for about five dollars from the dealership. It won't hurt the vehicle to run without this. It Is a noise suppressor more for the radio than anything.