ToyotaTom, Toyota Technician
Experience:  Toyota, ASE, MSE, MECP Certified

Toyota truck 3VZ runs rough, very hesitant in low rpms but

Toyota truck 3VZ runs rough, very hesitant in low rpm's but runs like hell at 3500+. Much like its flooding in 1st and 2nd gear.

ToyotaTom : Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer to help you with your questions! Is this truck new to you? I will be honest, this just sounds like a 3vz normal operation. They are a total slug and I say this not only as a Toyota tech of many years, but also having owned this very vehicle. They do really wake up above 3200-3500rpm, and anything below that is pretty sluggish. And fuel mileage is pretty terrible to boot, particularly if you're running anything a 33" or larger tire.
ToyotaTom : If you do believe it is flooding, typically you will find that the cold start injector is leaking. This is pretty common. To check this, remove the cold start injector. It is the one injector located on the back side (passenger side) of the upper intake plenum. Remove this and stick it in a jar. Start the engine and it should spray briefly while cranking. After that point it should not spray any gas at all. Also the oxygen sensor being lazy can cause hesitation issues in these without setting a code. They get old, and dont quite read correctly anymore, but not so far out of spec that it will throw a code. There should only be one sensor, on the drivers side down pipe. If you replace this, only use a Toyota sensor. Aftermarket sensors don't play well in these trucks.
ToyotaTom : I hope this helps to shed some light. These are the two most common things you typically see, but if I can help any further please let me know.