George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Toyota Avalon XL: My radiator has 2 fans. The right fan (passenger

My radiator has 2 fans. The right fan (passenger side) cycles on and off every 30 seonds or so. The left fan never runs now. I seem to remember the left fan running every time the A/C was turned on? When I chek voltage to each fan both seem to go from 6 VDC to 12V DC as the right fan cycles. The car never over heats. Stays mid range on the temp gauge. But A/C compressor seems to shut off when car is at stop light for a min or 2. Can you tell me what to check?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

If you are measuring battery at the fan motor but the motor is not running the motor has failed. The test would be to run power and ground directly to the motor to see if it runs. If it does not then the motor will need to be replaced.

Unless both fans are running on a hot day and you come to a stop the pressure i the AC system will rise as it cannot get rid of all the heat in the system. This rise in pressure will cause the computer to turn off the compressor to protect the system.

Please let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The voltage at the fan varys every 30 seconds between 6 and 12 VDC. The right fan motor turns on at 12V and off at 6. Something is varying the voltage to the motor? I probably have a bad left side motor because it never runs even when the power is 12 VDC. Am I correct about the driver side motor it only comming on with the AC?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

As long as there is 12 volts or even 6 volts the motor should be turning. The motor that runs with the AC it is good, it does sound like you need to replace the other side motor but as I posted above direct wiring it with power and ground is a check that you really do need to replace the motor.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll direct wire and confirm. i'll get back to you after I've done that.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Great, please let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drivers side motor is bad. It won't run with power to it until I tap it, then it starts. It obviously needs to be replaced. The pass side runs fine with power to it but when plugged in to the control it only runs on and off as I explained and occationall does not run at all when the motor is hot. As far as I can tell it gets power on and off? Looks like I not only have a bad motor i also have a bad controler. Anyway to test the controler that is mounted above the fans and that the power to the motors comes from?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The computer will pulse the power to control the fan speed. This is normal. It sounds like just replace the one bad motor and you will be set. I was at our annual HOA meeting so I am sorry for the late reply.

Please let me know what further questions you have

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years