George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years

Toyota Camry LE: Need help completing removal of air bags.

Need help completing removal of air bags. First is driver's side airbag. I am having difficulty removing the electrical connectors on back of old airbag. Odd type of clasp that seems to be partially glued in.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The side airbag and the steering airbag connector separation is shown below, let me know if that helps or use the "reply to expert" tab t ask follow up questions

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wrong type. The link you had was for a side airbag on a Camry 3.0L. My problem is with a driver's airbag attached to the steering wheel. There are 2 connectors plus a ground. I cannot find a release for it, unless it pulls straight out. However, it would not budge easily as there is glue around the connector and I do not want to break it.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

There are two procedures there, you will find the steering wheel connections shown there. Just scroll down in the procedure

let me know if that helps

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the link you posted, 2 pages show up for the side airbag that my vehicle does not have.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I will repost, the procedure for the steering wheel bag connectors should be there as well.

Click here

Note you are using a small screwdriver to pry around the area of the connector that pushes down into the airbag. There is no release. If you have glue in this area it is likely that someone was here before you and broke the connector.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This does no come apart, except in pieces! Lots of pieces and the connector is still in the old airbag. Where can I get new connectors?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

You opened the backs of the connectors? That is not what is shown or described in the procedure. The new connectors come attached to the clockspring connector under the steering wheel.

It sounds like someone was here before you and broke the connectors?

Why are you removing the airbag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am the original owner. I am removing/replacing the airbag because it went off after I hit a large pothole. I tried to pry down into the connector as indicated in the diagram, but nothing moved until it just started to break in several pieces. It appears that the back of the housing and connector were possibly damaged when the airbag went off. Neither connector would come off.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, when the airbag deploys heat is developed to generate the force to inflate the bag. This melts the connector so you did nothing wrong. As part of replacing the bag the clock spring connector is also designed to be replaced. You may have to replace the drivers seatbelt and the airbag computer if your goal is to restore this to factory condition.

I hope you were not hurt too badly in the incident.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While you were responding I noticed that the connectors were scorched and melted in parts. I have everything to replace, both airbags, both seatbelts and a computer, but I did not know about the connector. Is this a dealer item or aftermarket somewhere? I was not going very fast. The only thing hurt worse was my pride and wallet as these items are rather expensive.

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The clockspring can be purchased aftermarket but I would buy one from Toyota. One source is at this link

I am glad you were not injured, please let me know how I can help

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years