Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

4Runner: Hi - The glass on the drivers side view mirror busted,

Hi - The glass on the driver's side view mirror busted, so I removed it from the housing. It's a power mirror (just up/down and left/right it is not heated and doesn't have a turn signal). When I removed the glass I left two wiring connections unplugged. Today my car wont start so I suspect that the issue may bmy unplugging of those wires. Would that drain the battery or blow a fuse? Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Does the engine crank over? Are there any codes set in the computer? Can you clarify which plugs you disconnected? There should only be one at the mirror for just the power options to move the mirror?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it does not turn over. Right now it sounds like alarm is trying to go off (keys are out of the ignition). Don't know if there are any codes set in the computer but my guess is no. The mirror has two connections right by each other, so my guess is one is for up/down and the other for left/right power control. Maybe at one point it was a single "plug" but that may have been damaged when I busted the glass or when I removed it not sure.

Do you know whether or not unplugging a power side view mirror would drain the car battery or cause it not to start?

Thank you so much for your time.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

To answer your question specifically NO. The mirror is not powered up with the key off. The plugs will have nothing to do with starting or draining the battery. There is only one plug for movement of the mirror. The other one is for other options. Without the VIN it is hard to say what it is for. It sounds like an aftermarket alarm may be keeping this from starting or the battery may be low or bad causing it to not crank normal or set the alarm off. A Toyota security system will not do this. Try jump starting or have the battery tested and charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help, just a few things to clarify. 1) It's not an aftermarket alarm system but it's never been 100% after I had a collision in the front of the car (don't ask about the bad luck I've had in this thing!). 2) My VIN is JTEBU14R460090169. Thanks again for working with me on this.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
This has heated power mirrors the other plug is for the heater in the mirror. This also has a 90L Recall that is still open. The dealer can take care of that for you. It is a Gas pedal modification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks. I guess that means I will know if I've plugged the right one into the right socket if the mirror control works (assuming I can get it started up). I've ordered a replacement mirror with the housing just in case I need to replace everything. Will respond back after I try to jump start the car. Thanks again for the help

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Turns out the battery was dead. I replaced it and secured the mirror with everything plugged in (until the replacement comes in). Thanks for the help.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic