Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

toyota sienna: 2005 sienna with hid bulbs. had both replaced

2005 sienna with hid bulbs. had both replaced after one burned out. the passenger side bulb now only comes on every once in a while. it will not come on if it didn't come on when car started
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! What brand of bulb did you put in it and where did you purchase it from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sylvania d2r 35w xnarc hid xenon,purchased them from auto zone. they are not as blue white as the original, but they are hid bulbs. have had no problem with the drivers side replacement, just the passenger side.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
When it comes to HID bulbs they are very delicate. And you cannot put your fingers on the bulbs themselves the oils from your hands will cause the bulbs to prematurely go out. This being said the only other possible thing that could be going on is a loose pin fit at the connectors to the bulb or to the computer in the bottom of the headlight. In some rare cases I have seen where the computers have failed. If you are 100% certain that you did not touch the glass portion of the bulb my recommendation would be to swap the bulbs from left to right to make sure that the bulb is not defective and causing your problem. If it continuously stays on the same headlight that is acting up then you either have an issue with the controlling computer in the bottom of the headlight or a pin fit problem. It would be extremely rare to see any electrical issues to the computer itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had them replaced by a auto service shop. If the bulb was touched by hands, which the assure me it wasn't, would it still alternate between off and on?

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
In most cases the bulb would strictly just burn out. If it was touched by hands. It sounds like you have a defective bulb or a loose pin fit to the bulb. The only way you can rule this out is to swap the bulbs left to right and see if the problem follows the bulb. If it doesn't it will require some pin fit tests and some electrical tests at the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing I tried worked. I won't mess up your rating by responding, though.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
It still goes out after swapping the bulbs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that only leaves the HID computer in the headlight assembly or the pin fits to the computer..
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic