32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

Toyota: Hi ,I have a 85 Toyota Celica and it wont crank or

Hi ,I have a 85 Toyota Celica and it won't crank or start. I thought it was the battery because the battery light came on, so I decided to go to AutoZone buy a new battery. Come to find out the old one was no good. Now I have the new battery in and everytime I turn the key in the ignition it makes a click sound. I've tried replacing my old beat up battery terminal posts and it still won't crank. Please help.
Sounds like you still have a bad connection. Check the other end of the battery terminals to make sure they have a good connection. It is also possible that one of the cables are bad. You can test them with a voltage drop test. Do you have a volt/ohm meter? If the click sound is more than one click the above apples. If it is just one click it is possible that the starter is going bad. Turn the headlights on. While watching them have someone turn the key. If they dim but stay lit it's the starter. If they flash it will be the bad connection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried turning the key with the lights on and they completely cut off. I also tried to tap the starter and see if my car would crank. It didn't crank. What are signs of the engine locking up