32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

Camry: Own a 1996 Camry 2.2L. 101,000 miles. Was running super

Own a 1996 Camry 2.2L. 101,000 miles. Was running super well. All of the sudden when driving, I would try to accelerate would almost stall out. Changed the fuel filter (was the original), that did not help. The car starts and idles fine but as soon as I put it in gear and press the gas pedal, it stalls.
Two things come to mind. One is the fuel pump is not putting out enough fuel pressure. The other is a restricted exhaust. The fuel pressure needs to be tested. Most auto part stores offer a tool lending program. You can test to see if it is exhaust by removing the front O2 sensor from the exhaust. This will relieve enough pressure to make it run if it is a restriction. Let me know if you need more help.