AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Prius: I got a new keyless entry key for my 2006 toyota

I got a new keyless entry key for my 2006 toyota prius 9 days ago. Since then that I know of it went off twice 5 days later and tonight, 9 days later again twice ( each was within 5minutes of the first time). This has NEVER happened before since 2006. I also had a accelerator pedal shaved down that day due to a recall the same day, a repaired axle replaced and a new rear windshielf wiper put on. I now have my car in the garage with the key in the ignition and it is ok ... so far. I plan on calling toyota tomorrow but what would you think is the problem?

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

hey im fine how are you?

AMD :

I'm doing wonderful! Thank you. If I may ask, when you say it goes off, do you mean the alarm goes off out of the blue?

Customer:

yes- its happened wednesday and today 2 times back to back each day at random times.

Customer:

key was in kitchen first time, in purse second time and no one was messing with the key

AMD :

OK I See. Now from my experience we have seen that the hood latch button would malfunction and cause the alarm to go off randomly

AMD :

Now if I may ask, was the pedal recall the only recall done? because the vehicle might have 2 other recalls

Customer:

it was the pedal recall and some floor mat recall they did both that day too

AMD :

OK There's a possibility that it's a coincidence that these issues started a short time after the services because the hood was opened because here's how the switch causes the alarm to go off out of the blue on it's on.

AMD :

The hood switch is an input to the alarm computer, If a thief were to open the hood the alarm would go off to prevent theft.

Customer:

ok is that easy for me to attempt?

AMD :

now this switch would malfunction and cause the alarm to go off at random intervals and cause the issue.

AMD :

It is somewhat easy however there are 2 screws that are notorious to rust in the way to the hood latch and that can be a challenge to remove. I have removed a lot of them and can assist you with it.

Customer:

would placing the key in the ignition and keeping the car unlocked in my garage prevent the alarm from going off? as I am trying tokeep it from waking my neighbors

AMD :

If you leave the doors unlocked without locking them this will keep the alarm deactivated.

AMD :

Another thing

Customer:

oh so i cant just open and shut the hood i have to remove screws

AMD :

When was the last time your auxiliary battery which is the 12v battery checked?

Customer:

ok so if i dont even have the key in the car but the car is unlocked it should deactivate the alarm while i am home

AMD :

Now here's another thing that would cause the alarm to go off randomly

AMD :

I have also seen that if the auxiliary battery is weak and it drops in voltage over night it will cause the alarm to go off randomly as well.

Customer:

hmm thats the cheapest battery right? its been replaced at least twice. The bigger almost 4k battery was replaced about 1 year ago--- at 136 k, now we have 170+ K ( drive car ALOT)

AMD :

OK The small cheapest one is the one I am talking about.

AMD :

these batteries are very weak and they tend to fail often, if you are going to the dealership tomorrow have them test that battery along with the hood switch.

AMD :

if the small battery fails the test replace it as well.

Customer:

ok so you dont think its a rekeying issue then.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

the problem is i cant get the car there til next friday

AMD :

I highly doubt it's a rekeying issue at all.

AMD :

Keeping the doors unlocked should keep the alarm deactivated and will prevent the alarm from going off

Customer:

theres another toyota dealer near my work but not the one who did the rekeying etc. But you are saying this is another service seperate I would have to pay for right?

AMD :

Since the other dealership just did work on the vehicle I would have the same dealership check the vehicle, typically if it's something simple and they were the last ones who worked on the vehicle then they will give a good discount or if it's something that they can fix then they will do so for free.

AMD :

However if the car goes to another dealership then yes you will have to pay.

AMD :

I would call the dealership that did the work and inform them of the situation and tell them that you will drop off the car on friday

AMD :

I would keep the vehicle with them for at least a day so they can see the issue and take their time to inspect the vehicle.

Customer:

ok that sounds good. is this auxillary battery the one that can be tested at auto zone/ advance auto parts? if so i can do that tomorrow during work hours

Customer:

i drive 66 miles each day

AMD :

Yes that is the one, it's located in the passenger side of the trunk underneath the storage try.

AMD :

You can have auto zone or a parts store test it

AMD :

however if it fails I would purchase an original one because they do use a special kind of battery not a normal one

AMD :

if you must purchase a non original battery then make sure it's specifically designed for a prius

Customer:

ok its not in the front of the car huh? i thought the big battery was in the back. they both are in the back?

AMD :

They are both in the back. The high voltage battery is hidden underneath the back seat. the small auxiliary battery is in the passenger side of the trunk.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

no

Customer:

thank you that was a lot of info

AMD :

You're welcome! i'm glad I could help

AMD :

A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

Customer:

it was well worth it just for some peace in my head and so i can stop searching the internet tonight!!

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD :

I'm glad I could help :-) Let me know if you have any questions in the future.

Customer:

ok i will do that. didnt know i could do such a thing here lol thanks

AMD :

You're welcome :-)

Customer:

ok i sure will have a great night!

AMD :

That's wonderful! Have a good night.