AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

i have an 06 toyota carolla the problem im having is the engine

i have an 06 toyota carolla the problem im having is the engine turns over but wont start i have spark but no power to the fuel pump
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Pearl.com
My name is ***** ***** I am a toyota certified technician. I will be assisting you today with your Corolla question.
I wanted to ask a few questions before we continue.
- Have you checked for codes?
- Has the ECM been replaced as part of the recall?
- Which wires did you check at the fuel pump to see if it has power? and did you check it with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my obd2 scanner wont let me chk it and no the ecm hasent been replaced . i checked all 5 wires both hot to ground and ground to hot also while trying to start the car
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK The first thing I would try is to check for the recall. May I have the VIN number of your vehicle to check?
Also apply power to the black red wire on pin 4 of the connector picture that I have attached. Then see if the fuel pump runs. You can disconnect the fuel line at the front by removing the little clip that hold the line connection then squeeze the 2 little yellow tabs then pull to disengage the line. apply power to that wire from the battery and see if the fuel pump runs.
Try this and get back to me along with the VIN number because if the recall was not completed then that might be the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel pump did not turn on when i touched power to the blk red wire and i didnt get you attachment the vin is 2t1b32e26c698974
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry here's the attachment. Make sure that this is the wire that you powered. also when you powered it was the connector plugged into the fuel pump? If not then try it again with the connector plugged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i applied the power with the connector pluged in and the pump turned on
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK Now do you have a multimeter?
If you do then disconnect the connector on the fuel pump. then locate pin 4 and 5 which is a black\red wire and a white\black wire. then put your meter on volts DC and measure the voltage while cranking the engine.
Also when you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the mant reod light comes on and when i tested the connector with my meter there was no voltage
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to re ask this question but it's important. When you turn the key to the on position, does the check engine light come on or it does NOT come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just a light that says mantenence requierd
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK Let's start by checking a few fuses. Check the efi fuse to see if it's blown or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
witch one the one thats under the hood or under the dash
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
The EFI fuse will be a 20A fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok that fuse tested good
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK At this point I would say that the recall needs to be done to the vehicle. I checked the VIN number and it's included in the recall. I see the car's history all the way to 2010 and at that year the recall was available but not done. So I would start by calling your local toyota dealership. Explain to them that you have a car with a possible ECM failure due to the recalled ECM. Arrange a tow with them, basically toyota should cover the tow expenses and the recall will be performed at no cost to you and the vehicle should start again without issues.
Now if the recall was done to the vehicle already then get back to me and we'll continue investigating to make sure it's an ECM before we purchase one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but could you answer a question for me please could it be a fuel pump relay
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
at this point I doubt it's a fuel pump relay which is called the circuit opening relay. If your scan tool doesn't communicate and then the check engine light not coming on when you turn the key to the on position are key signs than the computer is not even powering on.
If you need to locate the circuit opening relay it will be on the back side of the fuse box inside the vehicle. Here's a picture of it's location
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you that was good also
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for using pearl.com
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist