Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience
11042942

Caldina: Ive just travelled to Gisborne in my recently purchased

I've just travelled to Gisborne in my recently purchased 2006 Toyota Caldina but realised way into the trip that i was in 3rd gear not drive as they are side by side. Car handled beautifully so didn't notice. Would any damage have been done?Thank you
Hello and thank you trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with your Toyota problem.

3rd gear is direct drive 1:1 ratio and Drive is actually an overdrive ratio. The engine rpm will be a little higher when driving at highway speeds in 3rd range and fuel economy will suffer a bit as a result, but no damage will have occurred to the car or to the drivetrain. Older cars did not have overdrive transmissions and did just fine. Nothing to worry about.