AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Toyota Rav-4: Hello Sky! My 2003 Rav 4 check engine light

Hello Sky! My 2003 Rav 4 check engine light came on again 2 months ago. I went immediately to Autozone and got the computer print outs. Codes P0420 & P0430. Print out says Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 for the 420 code and the same for bank 2 for the 430 code. It then gives 4 possible causes for each code the same.
1. Air leak in exhaust before HO2S (Heated Oxygen Sensor)
2. AF Sensor error
3. Fuel System fault
4. Faulty catalytic converter

I went to the Toyota parts dept to purchase sensors and replace them only to find that there are 4 of them and they cost about $175.00 each, ouch!

I have been busy with may things but today I opened the Haynes manual for my Rav-4 and it says the codes are a catalytic converter system fault. The manual talks about replacing the sensors and gives info on a vacuum test to determine if the converter is restricted but does not give any other info.

Can you help me ? Jim Z.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

Hello AMD, I am available for the next 30 minutes. Jim

AMD :

Wonderful! Let's discuss your question. It shouldn't take longer than that.

AMD :

Now a question to you. Does your vehicle has any exhaust leaks?

Customer:

Not that I am aware of. Sounds normal.

AMD :

OK Wonderful. Here's a botXXXXX XXXXXne of these two codes.

AMD :

If there are no exhaust leaks then replace the catalytic converter for both banks which is actually one unit and that will resolve the issue for you

AMD :

If there was an exhaust leak then fix the exhaust leak first, erase the codes then recheck.

AMD :

if the codes come back replace the cat. if they don't come back then you're all set.

AMD :

It has to be a pretty noticeable exhaust leak to cause the codes

AMD :

if it sounds normal then most likely replacing the cats will resolve the issue.

AMD :

This comes from my experience. The computer is very good at identifying a bad sensor. So if a sensor was bad it would throw a code indicating that a sensor is bad.

Customer:

Sounds like my next step is to get under the car and verify that I do not have any exhaust leak that I may have become accustomed to. If there are no leaks, do I need to replace both cats? What is your estimate of cost?

AMD :

The cats are actually in one unit which is the exhaust manifold. A cost for a brand new cat from the dealership which is the exhaust manifold is 675 dollars plus around 30 bucks for the gasket for the exhaust manifold and the gasket for the exhaust on the other side which has to be replaced.

AMD :

Now you can shop online at www.toyotapartszone.com for an original part at a better price of 589 plus shipping the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

AMD :

Another option would be to go to www.rockauto.com and buy an after market one cheaper however an original car is the ideal one to buy

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

I have noticed a metal type vibration sound under the hood for the last 2 months. I am wondering if something in the exhaust is loose. I will attempt to check for exhaust system leaks in the next couple days or get it checked. We have an emissions inspection station system in Maryland. If they check the exhaust, can that help with the diagnosi?.

AMD :

Well at this point the vehicle will fail emissions if tested by the exhaust analyzer. The thing is the gases that are coming out of the exhaust are polluting the environment. Diagnosis wise? Not really you will notice elevated levels of CO and HC which the cat breaks into H2O and CO2

AMD :

I would just make there there are no exhaust leaks. If all is good replace the cats and erase the codes and drive it for a week to get the monitors ready and it will pass the emissions test with flying colors.

Customer:

I need to do some checking. I sure don't want to spend $800 plus for new converters if I just have a leak somewhere that can be fixed for a few bucks.

AMD :

I agree. Make sure you check the exhaust for leaks very well. Here's a good way to check

AMD :

Have a second person help you. First have the second person wear protective gloves then using a small towel with the engine running have them block off the exhaust pipe at the back of the car while you are leaning underneath the car with your hand, first this way you will hear any exhaust leak Very clearly and you can feel the air flow with your hand.

AMD :

Customer:

No more questions today. I will do the exhaust check as you suggested and get back with you. Thanks for your help. Jim Z.

AMD :

You're welcome

AMD :

a Positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

Thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist