Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2004 corolla keeps making a crackling sound. it seem as

My 2004 corolla keeps making a crackling sound. it seem as though it's coming from behind the dash on the driver's side
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If this noise is when the radio is on this may be due to a shorted or blown speaker needing replaced.A blown or shorted radio/sound speaker can be common to cause this here.

If this noise occurs without the radio being on or isn't related to the speakers in the vehicle let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It occurs whether or not the radio is on. I don't know if it's relevant but it started about a week after I was in a low speed fender bender.

Was the cab of the vehicle dented or damaged as well besides the fender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

O.k.,since this occurs with the radio off as well and the vehicle was in a recent collision this may be a dash component or a component under the hood up against the firewall causing this here.It is difficult to pinpoint for sure from here which component is causing this or what has to be done to correct this without seeing and checking over the vehicle.The vehicle needs to be checked over to see if there is anything loose rattling around slightly causing this,make sure no wiring is arcing as this can cause a crackling sound as well.If nothing is noticed under the hood then under the dash needs inspected to see if anything is found loose or rubbing causing this noise.

I hope this has helped in some way here,if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete