AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

Solara convertible: is the same relay switch that mutes the

is the same relay switch that mutes the radio on a convertible, the same switch that lights the license plate?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time?

Customer:

yes

AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

Customer:

good thank you

AMD :

Wonderful! Now allow me to ask you a question. When your husband removed the convertible courtesy switch, were the license plate lights working just before that? and then after the switch they went off?

Customer:

yes it ws

Customer:

he has tried everything he knows, still no light

Customer:

I think it has everything to do with the switch

AMD :

Did he try to reconnect the switch? Also do the tail lights work?

Customer:

no he has not

Customer:

he does not believe it could be that

AMD :

OK I would actually just get a new switch since it's only 20 dollars. I don't see the switch in my diagram as well which is not making sense. But I would start with the switch back.

AMD :

Then there's another thing

AMD :

if the tail lights are working then the license plate lights should be working as well.

AMD :

unless the wiring is compromised in the way.

AMD :

They share the same power and same ground.

Customer:

the radio works without the switch, so that is why we left it off, but clearly it is used for something else.

AMD :

remembering the area of the switch i don't recall wiring in the way that could get damaged however have your husband revisit the area and inspect any wiring in the area for damage. and also install the switch even though it doesn't make sense but still.

AMD :

The switch is a common issue with the radio on your model.

Customer:

when you go to Toyota they denie a switch exisits

AMD :

the switch causes the amplifier to kick up the level of amplification so when you open the convertible top it would increase the volume

AMD :

OK Is your husband near you? could you ask him if it was the switch on the passenger rear side of the car?

Customer:

yes, and when it goes bad the stereo cuts in and out

AMD :

The toyota dealership probably isn't a very good one because I have replaced a lot of those. I can actually get you a part number and place to buy one if you would like to wait for a few minutes.

Customer:

he is not, but it is on the passenger side

AMD :

by replacing the switch you will fix the issue without leaving a part disconnected.

AMD :

Let me get you the part number and where to buy it original online, is that oK?

Customer:

we have the part number

AMD :

So the dealership said they don't have such part number?

Customer:

they say there is not a part for the top... what they do have is a coutesy switch

Customer:

sorry got sidetracked

AMD :

It is called a courtesy switch.

AMD :

That's OK

AMD :

here's a place to buy the switch. it's around 15 dollars online. There's a new part number for the switch it's 84231-06011

Customer:

but according to them it has nothing to so with the mute on the radio

AMD :

Go to www.toyotapartszone.com and write that part number and It'll take you to a place to buy one.

AMD :

They say that because they have no idea how the switch works and what it does.

Customer:

clearly!

AMD :

If you buy that part number it will be the correct switch, I have replaced a dozen of them already on Solaras just like yours.

Customer:

but the question is, will it fix the tail light?

AMD :

It is called a courtesy switch which makes them think it's for a light or something but it's actually designed to tell the amplifier to raise the volume when you open the top and lower it when you close the top.

AMD :

Wait. Is the tail lights not working or just the license plate lights?

Customer:

sorry just the license plate light

AMD :

OK I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the switch, however I would think something was disconnected in the process of removing the switch.

AMD :

Because if the tail lights work then the license plate lights should work because they use the same power and ground. Which means the wiring in between the tail lights and the license plate lights are interrupted.

Customer:

hmm... I am not sure how that can be, but I will tell him, I watched remove it, it doesn't seem to be anything other then a switch... at any rate I will let him know.

AMD :

I agree with you because I have done the job myself and never had issue nor do I recall wiring harnesses being in the way, down below the seat area there is a wire harness but that's far and you don't really need to get in that area.

AMD :

First have him buy the switch and install a new one, even though it doesn't make sense but let's be on the safe side because it's possible that they share the same ground through that wire and since it's disconnected it's not providing ground.

Customer:

well thanks for your help, I will show him, what we have talked about.. hopefully he can get it fixed.

AMD :

Doesn't make sense but again toyota doesn't list a very complete wiring diagram for me. So we start with the obvious which is returning the car to the original condition. Buy the switch and reinstall it and see if the license plate lights work now. If not then we will need to trace the wiring int he loom manually.

AMD :

You're welcome. Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer:

no that should be it.. thanks again!

AMD :

You're welcome. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

Customer:

ok will do.

AMD :

Thank you. I appreciate it!

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist