karrs2fix
karrs2fix, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified, L1,Iatn sponser,tech net training, automotive training group certificates
17741603

Toyota Tercel CE: I recently had the axle shaft assembly replaced

I recently had the axle shaft assembly replaced on the passenger side of my 98 Toyota Tercel at Canadian Tire. 3 weeks later, something popped while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear and the front wheels locked up skidding the car to a halt. I can shift through the gears on the transmission, but when I release the clutch the car stalls out. I am concerned that Canadian Tire improperly removed/installed the CV axle which resulted in the failure of the transaxle, front differential or transmission. I am curious as to how to determine the reason for failure? Please advise.

karrs2fix :

If it is related to the transmission , and you were not made aware of any fluid leaks it is possible that during the axle shaft replacement there was enough fluid loss from the transmission when the axle was out and it was not filled back up after the job was done.

Customer:

I checked the fluid level under the transmission filler cap and it was full to the cap.

karrs2fix :

You removed the bolt on the front side of the transmission below the vehicle to check the fluid level?

Customer:

No. There wasn't any grinding or any other warning sounds/noises from the transmission to indicate a seizure due to insufficient fluid levels. It was a sudden pop as if a component was dislodged.

karrs2fix :

The next step would be to have the transmission removed and disassembled to be able to inspect the drive gears , lock rings and bearings inside to determine where the failure occured.