AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and all of the windows stopped working.

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and all of the windows stopped working. I have tried the up/down buttons on the driver door and the other doors as well. The power door locks work. This problem started when i pressed the button on the driver door to roll up the window on the passenger window. The window went up about half way and stopped. Now none of the windows will go up or down. I have checked the fuses and I can't find a blown fuse.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.

AMD :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

AMD :

Are you available to discuss your question at this time

Customer: I don't have the car with me right now. I will have it tomorrow
AMD :

Hello! How are you doing today?

AMD :

That's OK we can discuss our first steps to diagnose the issue and we can continue our conversation tomorrow, Is that OK?

Customer: Perfect
AMD :

Wonderful! Now if I m?ay ask, which fuses did you check

AMD :

I see that you went offline, Please replay back when you are online and we'll continue our conversation. Thank you

Customer: The fuses I checked were: 8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,32,42,43,50,61
Customer: Let me know what we should do next
Customer: Thanks, Scott
AMD :

OK Was the 30A power fuse checked? toyota doesn't label their fuses by numbers they use names

Customer: 61 is the Pwr no.1 30A driver's door lock system, driver's power window
AMD :

Also if the vehicle is near you and you have a multimeter handy then check the voltage across the violet wire and the white\black wire see if you have voltage with the key on or the engine running

AMD :

OK then let's move into checking if we have power and ground at the driver's door master switch

Customer: Yes I have the car with me today. I will check those wires
AMD :

If we have power at the master switch then we'll need to check for power output from the switch to the motor.

AMD :

Because if we have power into the switch but no power out of the switch when it's operated then the master switch is faulty.

AMD :

if we have no power in then we'll need to trace the issue there.

AMD :

if we have power in and power out then the motor is an issue, I highly doubt this because can't be 4 motors went out at the same time.

AMD :

Most likely it's either a power supply issue or the master switch. If the master switch is faulty it will cause all windows not to work.

Customer: checking wires checking now. Be back in 5 mins
AMD :

OK, I will have to step out for some time. I will be back in around 15-30 minutes if that's OK.

AMD :

Thank you.

Customer: I am getting power on the purple and black/white wires. Anywhere from 12 to 14 mV.
Customer: Do you want me to take a door panel off so we can check the power at one of the door motors?
AMD :

OK I'm back sorry about the delay

AMD :

Wait, Are we getting 12 to 14 VOLTS or Milli volts?

Customer: I have the door panel off on the rear driver side door. I unplugged the harness to the motor. If the front driver window controls are activated I get 12-14 mV to the red wire and green wire that go to the rear driver side motor
AMD :

Sorry I just have to verify. Volts or mV?

AMD :

Because if we are getting volts it's OK but if mV which is Milli volts then there is no power

Customer: I am getting mV. If I check the car battery I am getting 12.16 V
AMD :

OK then we have no power. Let's go back to the master switch, Check for power at the purple wire but this time as a ground use the battery's negative terminal.

AMD :

Or if that's too far then found an exposed metal on the car to use as ground like the place on the door jamb where the door latch latches on to

Customer: When I go from purple to the negative terminal on. The battery, I only get mV
AMD :

OK is the key in the on position or the engine running?

Customer: key is on...I will turn the car on and try again
AMD :

No need to do that. Now go back to that fuse the 30A power fuse, Pull it out and replace it with any other 30A fuse that you see. then recheck for power

Customer: same result with the car on. I will move the fuse
AMD :

OK replace the fuse actively and see if you have power now.

Customer: the windows are working now. I didn't look at the fuse close enough
AMD :

Wonderful! You're all set then. However let me say one thing.

AMD :

Originally the window that was moving that caused everything to stop working might be an issue

Customer: thanks for your help!!!!!!!
AMD :

If it does it again I would first buy some silicone spray to lubricate the area where the window runs

Customer: It is...it is off the track
AMD :

OK We need to take care of that.

AMD :

take the door panel off and look at the window. It will have 2 bolts that hold the glass to the regulator

AMD :

when it goes off track these bolts come off or the tab on the glass is broken

AMD :

if the bolts are off get new bolts or find the old one in the door and tighten it

AMD :

if anything seems broken or out of shape in the regulator replace the regulator.

AMD :

that should take care of the issue. In the meantime make sure you don't use that window and have a few 30A fuses spares in the car just in case.

AMD :

Did you have any other questions for me today?

Customer: That is it. Thanks for the help again!
AMD :

You're welcome. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated.

AMD :

thank you for using justanswer.com

AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience: Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist