Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The OEM radio was recently removed

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra. The OEM radio was recently removed and put back in (same radio). Now it does not turn on.
I have tested the fuses: the dome and acc fuses both test OK... continuity check OK and power to both sides of the fuse.

The constant on lead from the wiring harness to the plug has power, and I can hear the cd changer power up when I plug it in.

The switched side was working correctly before I removed it, but now has no power.

Toyota 1-800 service center says this model does not have an anti-theft system in the radio so they could not give me a code.

Any additional help would be appreciated.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to justanswer.

There is a 20 Amp Radio fuse under the hood was it checked?

Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not found any fuse labeled Radio. Supposedly the switched portion of the power is controlled by the 15 A fuse labeled ACC in the fuse panel below the instrument panel. The constant-on is controlled by the DOME fuse in the under-hood fuse box.

I have checked both fuses for continuity, and for power on both sides of the fuse. Both check AOK
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me check something I'll be right back.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Do you have 12 volts at the red wire going to the radio connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check. You're referring to the connector at the back of the radio where it comes out of the harness, right? If so, I'll have to go out and check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's currently re-assembled, so this will take a few minutes.

Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Ok, here is the fuse diagram

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That fuse diagram does not look like the fuse box under the hood.

This is a 2001 Tundra with the 2UZFE engine.
The under hood fuse box is a rectangle approx 3" X 9" with fuses numbered 1-31 and 33-38, plus a bunch of relays that aren't numbered. In the owner's manual the diagram is labeled R80013

The instrument panel fuse box is about 3 X 4 with fuses labeled 17-29 plus 36 in the owners' manual the diagrm is R80016

The heavy red power line comes in to the amp below the radio. I haven't been able to get to it to test if it has power or not. (Too much dashboard still in the way). All wires to the connector at the back of the radio are small gage and come from the amp only. I haven't counted, but I'd guess there are about 12 or so.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I didn't know it had the amplifier, let me send a couple of wire diagrams to you in a few minutes.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the diagrams. If is the correct diagram for this particular system, I see three fuses (at the top of pg 498

30 A RAD NO. 3 always hot-direct to the battery
7.5 A RAD NO. 2 switched - on with accessories
20 A RAD NO.1 always hot-direct to the battery

If this is the right diagram, I have only found two fuses that have been id as potential power to the radio. I'm not 100% sure of these, as there's only one fuse listed in the owner's manual. ACC 7.5 A switched, controls Accessories: cigarette lighter, audio system, SRS Airbag system and power rear view mirrors. All accessories except the radio work.

The other one that I've been told provides constant power from the under-hood fuse panel and is labeled DOME 15A. In the owner's manual, that fuse powers Interior light, personal lights, vanity and courtesy lights. Those all work.

Here's my dilemma. The owner's manual has identified one fuse for sure. (7.5 A ACC) This fuse tests OK and everything except the radio works

The owner's manual does not identify the power source for the always on leg, but it is likely the 15A DOME fuse

I was able to get to the bottom of the amp and pull both connectors. Neither of them had power on any connector going into the amp

I have tested ALL fuses in both fuse panels for continuity and for power on both sids of the fuse. ALL fuses test OK.

So far, I haven't gotten anything from you that has taken me anywhere I haven't already been, and I'm not even sure the diagram you sent is the correct one.

Is there a relay involved in providing power to the system? Is there something else that I should be looking at? It seems the fuse route is about exhausted.

If there's nothing else to suggest except taking it to the dealer, I can't say I'm satisfied and I won't accept the charge.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
That's no problem, I'm going to opt out and see if someone else can help, just re list the question, I will request a refund for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks- I appreciate your efforts, even if the problem isn't solved