Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Toyota Sienna: Can you tell me where the manual override (for

Can you tell me where the manual override (for the shift lever) is, on a 2005 Toyota Sienna? My driver side brake light went out, then I mistakenly changed the tail light, and now I can't get the car to go into reverse from park. Also, all three of my brake lights are now out (did I err while changing the tail light bulb?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

When the vehicle will not shift from Park AND the brake lights do not work, these are directly related. The Stop Lamp Switch controls the rear brake lights, but it also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. From what you are describing here, it sounds like you may have just blown a fuse while replacing the bulb. Check the fuse labeled "STOP" in the fuse box located under the driver's side dash- up and to the left (see image below). If the fuse is good, then the problem will be in the Stop Lamp Switch itself. This switch is located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the top of the brake pedal assembly (see image below). Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or melted wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the switch should solve both problems. Unfortunately, there is no "official" over-ride procedure for this vehicle, so to release the shift level, the correct repair will need to be made. Sorry.
graphic
graphic

If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions! If you do not require further assistance, Please remember to Rate My Service. Thank-you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your directions. Do I access the "fuse box under the driver side dash" by laying with my back on the floor where my feet would go while driving, or by opening the hood? I got the fuse box under the hood open, but that box has a different shape than the one provided by you. When inside the car, I see wires and some boxes which seem too large to be a fuse. Help?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's under the driver's side dash. Not necessarily get on your back (that sounds like it would hurt! LOL!) but kneeling outside the vehicle, and leaning your head under the driver's side dash should be enough to gain access. Like I say, it's a little to the left of the steering wheel, and a little up. Here's a picture of it's location:
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I found it. Thanks. The problem was it had a cover over the fuses. I changed the fuse, and was able to put the car in gear.

But, my original problem was I had a blown brake light. Now, all three brake lights come on. Could a dying fuse cause one brake light to go out, while the other two continued to work?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Now that fuse fuse was replaced and the systems are working, no a fuse is not the reason the brake light is out. Re-check the bulb and make sure it is still good. If the bulb is good, there will be a problem somewhere in the wiring or the bulb socket itself. Try to visually inspect for any wires that may be pinched, broken, or rubbed through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I was not clear. All 3 brake lights now work. When the fuse was blown, none of the 3 lights worked. But, before the fuse was blown, one brake light didn't work.

I never changed that light. I only changed the fuse. So, my question is, can a dying fuse caulse one bulb to stop working temporarily, but not the others?

Put differently, should I be confident my original problem (driver side brake light not working) is truly fixed?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
The fuse completes and protects the circuit. It is either good or bad, there is no in between. When it's good, everything on the circuit works. When it's bad, everything on the circuit does not work. SO, no, a "dying fuse" cannot cause just one brake light to fail. So if the light is working now, but previously wasn't, the problem will be in the bulb, a problem somewhere in the wiring or the bulb socket itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to get to the bottom of this, if we can. I have bought new brake lights, but have not installed them.

To be sure I am understanding & using terms correctly, on my 2005 Toyota Sienna LE, the rear lights include some mounted on the rear hatch, while others are mounted on the corner of the car's body. Those on the corner include the turn indicator on top, and the tail light on the bottom. By contrast, the brake lights are on the left & right edges of the rear door/hatch, and at the top of the hatch (total of three brake lights).

The brake light which was not working, but now is working, was the driver side brake light. The only thing I did which might have made it start working (besides changing the fuse, which you have ruled out), is to change the rear driver side tail light bulb, whose glass was coming loose from its metal base.

Can you tell me, with the driver side brake light now working, how to identify & fix whatever problem should exist in the wiring or bulb socket?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
When you replaced the tail light bulb, it's very likely that bumping the housing may have jarred the brake light bulb. IT's very possible that repalcing the bulb itself will solve the problem.

As for finding the problem if the bulb is not the problem- this will take a visual inspection. Inspect the socket for any signs of damage (burn marks, worn bulb contacts, etc). Inspect the electrical connector for any loose or broken wires. Try to follow the wire harness as far back as you can looking for any pinhced or damaged wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience on this. Your 1st paragraph suggests replacing the bulb is likely to solve the problem. I made clear the bulb is now working, right?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the bulb is working now, it may just have been a case of a slightly loose bulb in the socket. Or a loose filament in the bulb. If it's working now, it's working. There's really nothing we can test while the problem does not exist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I expected as much. Thanks for all your help. No need for you to reply.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Glad I could be of some help! Have a great day!

Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics