Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

toyota tacoma: 2005 Toyota Tocama,Auto,

Customer Question

2005 Toyota Tocama,Auto, Brake lights work,but it won't come out of Park.Flashers work,but the signal lights do not.Heater stays on hot even when you turn the dial to cold. Air conditioner and recirculate buttons don't work.The lights that show the Park,reverse, drive,etc, don't work at the shifter or in the dash. This all happened at the same time. Do you have any ideas where to start?  

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question. Has the windshield EVER been replaced in this truck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Any aftermarket accessories installed? What's the weather been in your area? Moisture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No aftermarket assessories,except for phone charger, and GPS which both plug into lighter holes. Weather has been very nice the last few days.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Is your power outlet charging your phone and gps normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At times the charger,and GPS will go off,but all I have to do is twist the connections,and they will come back on.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a digital voltmeter or a 12 volt test light? Does the cruise control work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have a voltohm meter. I have not tried the Cruise control. I now have the consol apart, but I can still go check and see if the cruise light will come on....I started the truck and the cruise light will come on,but I would have to put the consol back together to actually see if the cruise will work.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Really want to know if it actually will set and engage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'LL GO SEE IF i CAN TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I HAVEN'T GOTTEN AN ANSWER YET.bOXER 54 ISOFF LINE SO i WANTED TO ASK SOMEONE ELSE
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
I get a message when you reply and I log back in to help you. Does the cruise control work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Cruise light will come on in the instrument cluster, but the cruise will NOT set while driveing

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove your brake switch from under the dash and check it with your meter? There are two switches built into one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How is the brake supposed to read? I have 12V on 2 of the connectors. I can bridge 2 of them on the same side and the brake lights burn,but when I bridge the other 2,nothing happens.I don't know what the other 2 are for.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
What were looking for is a continuity test using the ohm setting on meter. Check to see each switch is opening and closing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it took s long,but I couldn't get the meter leads on the switch while the switch was in the truck,so I had to take it out. Anyway,The 2 larger prongs are N/O and close when the switch is pushed. The 2 smaller prongs are open and when the switch is pushed the meter gives an erratic reading and then goes to open again.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
The big pins should be closed, then go open with the switch pushed in. The smaller pins should be open, then close with the switch pushed in. Since your not getting that, replace the switch. This will fix most and possibly all of your issues.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just replaced the brake light switch( It took 2 days to get it), and It DID NOT fix any of the problems. Any moore Idea's?

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Take a good look at the connections at the fuse box and the junction connectors at the left kick panel. Loom for ANY signs of possible water intrusion or corrosion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No signs of water

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Truck is still not fixed. I will put a new transmission rotation sensor on it this evening,and try that. The check engine light is on and when you check that,it says that the trans rotation sensor is bad.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
What is the code number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what the code # XXXXX I took it to Advance auto to have it read. The guy at Advance said it was the Transmission speed sensor,so I bought one for $144.oo and it did not fix the problem.The Transmission will not downshift manually. It stays in drive no matter what position the shifter is in. I have the dash apart now as I just took the Turn signal relay out,and will replace it tomorrow if I can find one.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
We see that happen a lot where the auto parts store pulls a code and sells a part without any diagnosis. There are very few codes where it simply gives a part to change. Some diagnosis is almost always necessary as there could be more than one thing causing a code to set. Did they clear the code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not clear the code. I have ordered a signal light flasher,but have not received it yet.I'll let you know what happens. Answer this back so I can click on the link when I get the flasher installed

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Keep me posted. If you can get the code number checked again, that would help as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installed a new signal light flasher.Nothing changed. Had check engine code read. It said P0504,brake light switch, andP0705 Transmission range sensor (park/reverse/neutral/drive/low imput).Reset codes. Installed new trans. range sensor on left side.drove about 2mi. and check engine light came on.Checked light code,same P07605 Put the trans range sensor that I took off of the left side,on the right side.cleared codes. drove about 2 mi. check engine light came on again.Checked codes,and it says P0705 Trans. range sensor (park/reverse/neutral/drive/low imput.Still need help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting for a reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
haven't gotten an answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
haven't gotten an answer
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
There are some differences in these vehicles based on equipment. Is this truck 2 orXXXXX What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4-wheel drive with the V-6

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
This code comes on whenever the computer sees more than one input from the transmission range sensor. Can the truck be started in any shift position other than park or neutral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. It will only start in Park or Neutral.To get the transmission out of Park,I have to push down on the button below the little tab beside the park indicator light.The transmission shifts hard sometimes,and sometimes it shifts OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tell what time that you will be on-line so that I can be sure and be here. This truck has been down for 3-weeks,and I need to get it fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Other. I've been working on this truck for 3-weeks,and still have not fixed it.I need someone that will help me.

Is any one going to respond to my Problem. If not please sent me an e-mail and just tell me that you are not going to help me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sure would like to hear from someone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I need another answer.It's been 3-weeks amd the truck isstill not fixed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have been on this computer all day, ad No one will answer.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Different expert here. If you still need assistance, I can provide some input.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I need to retype all the problems,or can you read what I have already posted for the other expert?
Anyway the truck is still not fixed.

I see all of the previous conversation.

Please check the following with the key ON:

Locate the shift solenoid inside the center console.

Test for 12 volts at the solid PINK wire and the solid GREY wire at the wiring connector to the unit. You should have battery voltage in each wire. Next, test the solid BLUE wire for battery voltage with the brake pedal depressed. Next, set your meter for continunity, and test he WHITE with a Black Stripe for continunity to ground. Please advise of your findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.It looks like you know what you are looking for.It will take a little while for me to take the consol apart again and make those checks,but I'll start on it now. Please reply back to this ,so I will have a reply menu to get back to you when I get done...Thanks

Let me know what you find. I will be online for a few more hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK solid PINK lead did NOT have 12vdc with key on.

solid GREY did have 12v with key on

solid BLUE did have 12v when brak pedal was engaged.

Continunity check on white w/black strip to ground is good.

Sorry about the delay. You need 12 volts in the solid Pink wire for sure

Let's look at the fuse panel under the dash. The center row/center most 10 amp fuse. This fuse is called IG1.

Check the fuse; see if it is blown, and then refit the fuse, and test for power on Both sides of the fuse.

We will proceed from there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That seemed to fix all the problems.I haven't driven it yet to make sure thr trans shifts properly. I am sure that you have a schematic for this vechicle. I have tried to get one but couldn't. Where did you get it? I wll put the consol back together and take it fr a drive.

The wiring diagrams are available at the following website (for a fee)

techinfo.toyota.com

The IG1 fuse was blown?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much. I wish I would hve gotten you first,it would have saved me alot of time and money. I took the truck for a drive and the trans shifts good as well. May God bless you.

Awesome. Glad to help. You are very, very welcome.

It was a pleasure to assist you; glad to see that you have it all sorted out.

A positive rating for my assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

If you ever need assistance in the future, you can get me directly thru this link: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-toyotaservice/

Additionally, if you need help in another area, JustAnswer has over 25 different categories with thousands of Experts ready to help if you need assistance other than your Tacoma.

Thanks again, and have a great evening.