Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

2000 Toyota Avalon: Will a 97 Avalon Transmission fit into

Will a 97 Avalon Transmission fit into my 2000 Toyota Avalon? Both are Automatic.
Thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question. The '97 transmission art number is XXXXX The 2000 is part number 305104113084, so there is a different part for each year. The difference between the 2 is a different valve body and completely different control system for the solenoids, which are also different. So, these cannot be interchanged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have found a 97 Rebuilt Avalon Tranny for two hundred dollars On Craigs list and was hoping it would fit my 2000 Avalon thats slipping really bad. What parts would I have to change over to the 97 tranny to the 2000 to make it work if even possible or vise versa?

With the valve bodies being different, it is very likely the case and all the fluid passages are also different. The only way to know would be to completely disassemble each transmission down to the bare case and thoroughly inspect the cases to be sure they are identical. Its too big of a gamble for me as with the differing valve bodies, the cases are probably also different. Labor intensive means expensive on a long shot chance. Not what I'd recommend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm glad I asked. You just saved me a two hour trip and 200 dollars. Now I have to decide what to do from here. I have the engine and tranny removed right now. I have torn down the engine and the engine is getting machined / checked at the machine shop and I'm going to rebuild from there. I have the old transmission and bought a used transmission that I was told had 22,*** miles on it.After I received it I did a Car Fax and found out that it had 105,*** miles on it.The junk yard refused to return it unless there is something wrong with it after install.Should I put the 105,*** mileage tranny in or have my slipping tranny with 220,000 rebuilt or the 105,*** rebuild? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My best recommendation is to install the transmission. That's what I would do in this situation. These transmissions don't generally have much trou le, so the likelihood is its ok. We replace a lot of used transmissions and realistically with that age, the mileage is going to be high on most of them. I haven't gotten one yet that had to be taken out again. Not to say it can't happen, but most likely its good. I would recommend replacing the axle seals and front pump seals.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for all the help. Last thing. If I butt my engine block out of my 2000 Avalon up with the 97 Avalon's Tranny and it fits and connects will it may work? What could happen if it all fits together and I drive it but the gearing it wrong?

It will not work whatsoever unless the valve body and all internal wiring is swapped out. It MAY work then if, and only if the cases are identical, which I doubt.