Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

4runner: Hi i am trying to change the front struts on a 1999

Hi i am trying to change the front struts on a 1999 toyota 4runner. I have got them out of the vehicle and have already pulled off the big coil spring. Now i noticed when i transfered the spring to the new strut the stem seems to be a bit higher than the old one like prob. a couple inches. and the strut plate bottoms out before it contacts the spring . i have verified the part number. they are KYB Gas adjust struts. part number KG9025. is there any adjustment at all. or are these the right ones? thnx
Thank you for trusting us with your Toyota questions. That shows to be the correct part number. Did you get that number off the box, or is it stamped somewhere on the part itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it was stamped on the box. but i thnk i figured it out. i released the spring and it seems fine now nice and tight. so im thnkn maybe the old strut was seized up before the very top of its travel. is this possible? the vehicle has over 300,00km

Yes, that is possible. What I would do is compare the other side if you haven't removed the spring yet. Make sure the overall height of the assembly is the same.