Boxer54
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician
12613057

4 runner: 1997 4 runner with 3.4 L ...... had what looked like

1997 4 runner with 3.4 L ...... had what looked like water and oil mixed on oil stick before i had the oil changed .... cent then i drove the truck about 60 miles and i have no mixing on the stick so far..... but i found water in the air tube and the pcv valve looks like it milky inside and it will not rattle.... also a pipe from the intake to the air tube has a milky build up in it..... checked for combusution in cooling system none found....what do you think is going on ??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting us with your Toyota question. How far do you drive normally? Has your coolant level dropped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when problem first happen i was looseing coolant.....think it may have been in oil .... have not been driving it cent i been looseing coolant use to drive it 75 miles a day.... coolant has not droped over the short time i have drove it......

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Have you had the cooling system pressure tested with engine both cold and hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.... their is no external leaks found....whhere do you think the water in the intake is coming from ??

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
No external leaks is a good thing, but did the system hold pressure? Oil in intake?? Or breather hoses and PCV valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes held pressure... read my first question please...

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
I'm reading all your responses, but want to clarify to be sure I'm understanding exactly what your saying. I can't see the vehicle or out my hands on it, so I have to rely on details from you. That's why I'm asking for clarification. Water in which tube, air inlet from filter box to intake, intake manifold itself, breather hoses, etc.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

air inlet from filter box to intake, and line going from back of valve cover on driver side to intake boot ( from filter box to intake ) was full of water and line was milky

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like condensation to me. What happens is, as your engine cools, the natural effect of that is some condensation forms inside the engine. If it is not driven enough at operating temp, it doesn't burn off and can be found in places like the oil cap, PCV valve, and breather hose which leads to the air inlet tube. Depending on how much moisture is there, may not be anything else. If there is a LOT, could be condensation v coupled with excessive crankcase pressure. This would be a sign of a worn engine, especially in the ring and cylinder wall area. Have a compression test done as this will give you a good indication whether that is the case or not. If your not losing coolant and system is holding pressure, its likely condensation is your only issue here. I recommend driving it normally and watching the temp and coolant levels closely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok..... i just don't think it is a head gasket problem.... but after look colsey at the tip of the oil stick now i see a very small amount of milky on the very tip of the stick...do you it is building condensation in there ??

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
What did the oil look like when it was drained? Yes, I have seen condensation build up in the oil dipstick tube and show up on the dipstick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not see the oil when it was changed. oil change shop did it and nothing was say from the tech... could the PCV valve system be stopped up cause all this condensation and water build up... ?? the intake tube has two cantainer on it..both full of water ( pint of water )

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
The condensation is caused by heat exchange. I would think that if there was water in the oil, you would have been informed. My opinion, at this point is condensation is what your seeing. However, if your PCV valve is clogged, definitely replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there coolant running in the lower intake manifold..... found some coolant after removing the upper intake...it was between the lower intake ( the part the fuel injector fix into ) and the head in the valley.....

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is. There are also bypass hoses in that area. Check those really well. I have seen people condemn head gaskets when the bypass hose was leaking coolant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks....one more thing......ran a compression check on the engine the high reading was 200 the low was 180... truck has 208,000 on it are those reading good ? and the coolant i found was on the drivers side of eng.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 1 year ago.
Minimum compression is 145 and normal is 174, so your probably ok. With it being a little high, you may have stuck oil rings allowing some oil to get into the cylinders.
Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience: ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician