Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

toyota 4runner: 95 toyota 4runner. 3.0 v6. Engine starts and

95 toyota 4runner. 3.0 v6. Engine starts and shuts off in 2 seconds. Replaced coil, igniter, cap, rotor, distributor, wires, plugs, MAF. Still same results.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Are you getting any malfunction codes set in the engine control computer or have you checked for them? If you place a jumper wire in the FP to B+ terminal in the diagnostic check connector by the battery does the fuel pump stay on and does the engine continued to run? When it stalls if you start it back up does it run for a few seconds again then stop immediately and repeats this process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It does repeat the process as long as i cycle the key. I did jump the fp to b+ and resulted the same.

The malfunction code currently showing 14. Possibly because of the amount of attempts i've been trying to get it started.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
With the jumper wire installed did you confirm that you are not losing fuel pressure and this is not the reason why it is stalling? In other words with the fuel pump jumper wire in place the engine still stalls and you have plenty of fuel pressure correct? If you clear this code 14 by removing the negative battery cable then start the process over does the code 14 come right back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The code does not come right back when i clear it. It comes back after my many attempts of starting. I also did replace the fuel regulator. I do have pressure coming out when jumped. Fuel shooting out on return side.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
What you're going to find is that the code 14 is the source your problem. The code 14 means that for every four ignition confirmation signals there is no feedback or IGF signal to the engine control computer from the igniter. This could mean anything from a bad igniter to possibly an open or short in the IGF signal wire from the igniter to the engine control computer. The circuit is very difficult to diagnose even for average or above average mechanics. Ideally you need an oscilloscope to monitor the waveform of IGT and compare that to IGF. You can do the basics with an ohmmeter by testing the wires between the computer and the igniter. Also the magnetic pickup coils in the distributor need to be ohm tested also in some rare cases I have seen where a weak ignition coil also code cause this code. If the ignition coil is not strong enough to trigger the feedback or confirmation to the igniter then the igniter by default cannot send a signal to the engine control computer. When the computer detects this code 14 it shuts down injector pulse for safety reasons and the engine will stop running. Do you have any test equipment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have an ohm meter. Should i start by running a new wire from the igniter to the ecm. Unfortunately i do not know which wire on the igniter would be the feedback or IGF. I have 3 igniters and 3 coils. Currently on there is the new ones. Had same response from all. This is the second distributor. I have 2 ecms 95 and a 93.

Where should i start?

Cleared codes. Now I have a code 24. Code 14 is not there.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
I am a little confused here. You said this is a 1995 3.0 L engine and it has a distributor which you have replaced twice then you said that you have three igniters and three coils you are referring to the fact that you have replaced the igniter with three different ones and the coil with three different coils?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. It has same part numbers.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The first thing I would do is disconnect the connectors going to the engine control computer. The computer you obviously knows located behind the right kick panel. The middle connector is the connector that has the two wires you need to gain access to disconnect the connector at the igniter. The black wire with the blue line is the IGT signal that comes from the computer to the igniter to start the ignition sequence. The black wire with a yellow line is the IGF wire or confirmation wire from the igniter back to the computer. Use your ohmmeter and test the continuity of these two wires. From the igniter connector on the the black with yellow you should have less than 1 ohm of resistance and typically should be about .4 ohms through the wire to the other end at the computer pin number three. The black wire with the blue line is pin number 21 at the computer. The pins are counted by disconnecting the connector and looking at the face of the connector with the lock tab at the 12 o'clock position number one pin is the top left corner counting from left to right and then top to bottom. The same thing should be done on the black wire with the blue line. Then ohm test either end of the wires to any chassis ground. There should be no continuity to ground on either of these wires. Let me know what the numbers are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I seem to have found the problem. The problem is with ECU. I replaced the ECU using a 1993 and started. The 95 ECU has a connector problem.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
That is good to hear.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic