Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Prius: Prius 2005, My Prius wont start, the auxiliary battery

Customer Question

Prius 2005, My Prius won't start, the auxiliary battery is at 12.71V. I hit the start button and the lights flash but the engine wont start. If I jump start, it will start with the red triangle on. Any way of getting the codes?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 3 years ago.
You will need a code reader or a scan tool to check the codes. There isn't a way to flash out codes using a jumper wire like on the older vehicles. One can be purchased for around $50 at most autoparts stores. Without knowing the codes, there really isn't too much we can help you with. Keep in mind, if this is a hybrid only problem, the code reader will not access those codes, so you still may be looking at a trip to the dealer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know this info. Based on past experiences can you tell me where to check before going to the dealer? The trip to the dealer will cost me a tow plus....!!

Please don't submit an answer saying I need to go to the dealer, I am trying to avoid this!

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! The other expert is giving good advise with getting a generic code reader as a inexpensive place to start. These engine codes can give light to what might be going on. In the meantime try removing the negative 12 v battery cable for 5 minutes. Reattach and place the key fob in the slot and firmly push the brake pedal and push the start button to see if the system will ready on. Let me know how this works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing new. I jump started it to open the trunk it started ok, I went to fill it up with gas and no problem. I disconnected the battery, connected and it would not start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
did nothing to the problem and has not answered for a while
Sorry for the delay I had to step out for a bit. The 12 V battery on this is critical. Even if it drops even slightly it will affect the system main relays and not allow the vehicle to ready on. Even if it shows 12.7 V it may not have enough current flow to engage the system main relays have you had the 12 V battery removed and tested at your local parts store?