Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Prius: 2006 Prius. All the dash lights flash on and off on

2006 Prius. All the dash lights flash on and off on the "instrument cluster and multi-informational display" including Master warning light and car does not start. Let it sit for a bit and lights go off properly and car starts up. This happens once a month or so. Manual says to get the car to a dealer immediately!

Any ideas? Battery is original and no corrosion on terminals. I have not checked the voltage, but assume battery is still ok. Otherwise it would not start at all once battery is weak...???
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Do you have any way to check for malfunction codes in the engine control computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a "take it to the dealer scenario" to diagnose the problem...

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The first place to always start when you're dealing with electrical problems that are intermittent is with the 12 V battery located in the trunk. If this is the original battery I am shocked that it has lasted this long. These batteries were notorious to last no longer than four years. The fact that you have driven it for almost 7 years now is amazing. This being said these 12 V batteries are very temperamental and the slightest fluctuations will cause the system main relays and other hybrid components to malfunction. My recommendation and first place to start is to remove the 12 V battery and have it tested. Most auto-parts stores will do this as a free courtesy. This is a special battery and you cannot use a regular lead acid battery. Let me know how things go once you had the battery tested and/or replaced. Most of these problems Camry be resolved by doing that. I would not run to the dealer just yet. Even while the car is running if you can get to a nearby AutoZone before you remove the battery to have it tested they will do free code reads on the engine control computer to see if there any malfunction codes that may be set there. If there is post them back here and I can give you further input. If you have the panels off of the battery in the rear they may be able to test the battery while it's in the car. This depends on what kind of equipment they're using.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll take your advise and go to a Murrays Auto place to get bateery tested. Get back with you. How do I recontact you once done as i am going to go now.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Just log back into your account and continue to post to this thread as you have been. Being a holiday today I will be in and out with family functions but will try get back to you as soon as possible. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Battery was checked with volt meter and reads 12.5 to 3.3 or so when running. I was told Toyota will do a free computer check which tracks all events, so this is my next step. This issue has happened very infrequently, perhaps 3 times this year. As it is my wife's car, she is nervous about driving as last time two days ago, she got stuck at a shopping mall. We went back three hours later and car started right up.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
After they run the test post the results back here with the VIN and I can give you more info. HAve the dealer test the battery also. They have better equipment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Prius is back. Battery was replaced after they used a battery tester which showed it was weak. Replaced the battery. Computer at dealer does not show an error code, so can't help there. Battery was original to 2006, so got a long life out of it.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
There is a very good chance that this simply could just been caused by the original 12 V battery. I would just let it go and see how things work. If there was a major problem or malfunction it would've been logged in the engine control computer or the hybrid computer. Let me know how things go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. We will see if there is any reoccurance of the problem.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Okay