Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Corolla Verso: Toyota Verso 1.8 2005 petrol automatic.

Customer Question

Toyota Verso 1.8 2005 petrol automatic. The car was left at the airport for 3 days. Would not start when returned from trip. Lights, fan etc fine so no implication it was a battery fault. No mechanical noise at all, so starter motor solenoid not firing or nothing getting to starter motor. Car is at dealership and they say it is the starter motor but after a quick research on the web I am not 100% convinced. Do you have any alternative views or do you think it is the starter motor? Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions! Just because the lights and accessories light up does not mean it is not the starter or battery. If the battery is weak it will turn all the lights on but will not have enough power to engage the starter. If the solenoid is bad on the starter it will make no noise with the exception of the starter relay but that is a very faint click and most people will not be able to here it. I would question them on the state of charge of the battery. But if they duplicated the problem more then likely it is the starter. It is the weakest link if the battery tested ok. The ignition switch rarely fail. The Neutral safety switch is about the only other item if it is an automatic trans.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an automatic. I am presuming the breakdown service did all they could for a battery fault to be found. Research on the web found a similar problem where the dealer changed the starter motor but 2 weeks later the same problem occurred. No refunds of course! Tell me more about this "Neutral safety switch". I did find mention of such a thing. Is it easy to repair or better just diagnose if its the fault? How do I bypass that to see if motor will start?

Usually if the NSW is bad it will starter if shifted to Neutral. There are 2 larger gage wires on the NSW which is mounted on the front side of the Transmission just down or near the dipstick for the transmission. The small wire to the starter engages the starter. This has to have 12 v when the key is turned to the start position. The relay is energized after power goes through the NSW. If the starter relay is clicking the NSW is good. Then it is on to the starter from the power side of the relay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, sounds like its not the nsw as there is a click. The click does sound electrical which is the relay you mention. If I hearthat click, its not the nsw correct?

How does this sound...

I have a battery that's fully charged. Will take that to the car and try it from that battery. If it still does not start, then we can say its the starter that needs replacing?

Is it an easy job to replace a starter motor on this? Have done it on a VW bus and an X5 before but know how some can be easy and others hidden under masses of wires, plastic, etc!

Yes on the NSW. If there is 12 volts to the Small wire that engages the solenoid on the starter then the starter is bad. If you have another good battery then that will rule out any power supply issue and it leaves only the starter. Rarely is it an issue with the wiring. Starter is not to bad if it is the 1zz engine. If you have the VIN I can look it up. It should be the same as here in the USA.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

maybe VIN is the chasis number?

The starter is under the intake manifold and is the same as here in the USA. The solenoid is known to fail. Two 14 mm bolts one from the top and one from under the car. It comes out from the bottom. 12 mm nut on the main cable. No more then 1.0 hours in labor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good. So might even be able to repair it myself outside the dealership :D

Armed with the info you provided I will go tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for your prompt responses.

You are welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again! Any chance you can give me the start motors part number? I found 2810022040 and just want to make sure its the correct one. Thank you

I came up with 28100-0D090 but the number you listed also fits the corolla 1.8 it may just be an updated number or higher wattage rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found this part:

and it lists multi-original numbers! How can that be? Any idea how I can get the original part for my model?

That starter will work. The part numbers are interchangeable. You would need to contact a Toyota dealer in your area for the original number but you will pay twice as much for it.