Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

My Toyota Prius check hybrid system light is on

What should I do if I am getting a “check hybrid system” message on a 2010 Toyota Prius that will not start?

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Is the yellow check engine light also on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a yellow triangle with an explanation point. I had to change tire, may have accidentally unhooked something, but think it is re-hooked.

When you say that you had the change a tire is the spare tire now currently on the vehicle and is the other tire flat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This light is probably coming on because of the tire pressure warning sensor in the other tire has detected that the tire is flat. Once you air the tire up and have it repaired and put back on the vehicle light should reset itself and go out. If the tire gets reposition or replaced you will need to reset the tire pressure warning system the button is on the lower instrument panel on the driver side. This is spelled out in your owner's manual also. You would need to push in and hold the button until the tire light flashes three times that release it. If the vehicle is otherwise running normally and you're not experiencing any loss of power it's probably just the tire issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car will not start. What should I do?

When you step on the brake pedal does the light in the start button turn green or is it orange?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Green. Then when I push start button, get the message, check hybrid system and car stays in neutral and requests that it is put into park.

Does the start button shut off normally? If you can shut it off then place the key fob directly over top of the start button enough so that you can still push the start button push down on the brake pedal then push the start button with the key fob directly on top does the system ready on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that worked! Does that mean my key fob needs new battery too? I still only get the display to check hybrid system. I cannot find the reset button for the tire pressure. Will this correct when I get the tire repaired/replaced?

It is very possible that the battery is low in the remote I would try that first but if the hybrid warning light still comes on you probably should have this tested to make sure there's nothing going on with the hybrid system or the smart start key system. Try you rather remote key fobs also.