Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

Toyota Camry: how to properly remove timing chain on a 2005

how to properly remove timing chain on a 2005 toyota camry?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Are you looking for step-by-step instructions or just general overview information on how to do a timing chain removal procedure? Have you disassembled anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have removed the timing cover and currently waiting to proceed with the chain so step by step instructions would b great thanx

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
In order to remove the timing chain you first must remove the oil pump drive chain. You will notice a hole in the pump driven gear that needs to be placed at the nine o'clock position and this will put the timing mark at the six o'clock position. Use a punch and stick it through this hole into the groove in the housing of the oil pump. This will hold the timing gear in place while you break the nut loose on the drive assembly for the oil pump. Make sure cylinder number one is set to top dead center this will put all of your timing marks in the correct position these are the double dots on the exhaust cam and the slot grooved line on the drum on the VVTI gear which is on the end of the intake cam with the dot on the camshaft bearing caps. At this point then you can remove the chain guides and while holding the camshaft with a 15/16 wrench on the hexagon portion of the cam take the bolt out of the exhaust cam gear and this will allow the chain to come off. Reverse the procedure and line all your timing marks up to reinstall. If you need pictorial representation or more detail go to www.techinfo.Toyota.com for $15 you can purchase a two-day subscription and download all of the step-by-step information that you would need for this vehicle.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

genral overveiw im actualy just removeing the head

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Are you replacing the timing chain or doing a cylinder head gasket?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If you are simply removing the cylinder head gasket the procedure would be basically the same with the exception that you would be removing both camshafts from the cylinder head. Once the exhaust cam gear is removed I normally do not recommend removing the VVTI controller from the camshaft simply leave that attached to the camshaft then remove that camshaft from the cylinder head. When reinstalling the timing chain just make sure the have all of the dots lined up with the paint marks on the chain.
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
.