Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota RAV4: I hooked up the battery backwards on a 2001 rav4,

I hooked up the battery backwards on a 2001 rav4, pretty sure a fuse is blown but where can I find it? Doesn't look like its interior fuses or fuses under hood on right.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

Typically this only blows the large ALT fuse this is normally 100 AMP or 120 amp's. Have you located this fuse?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not sure where that is, I have little car repair experience.

There is a fusible link box attached to the cables that go to the battery. Click the link below for a better illustration. Inside this box you will find fusible links. As I recall that 120 amp ALT fuse has to be replaced as part of this fusible link box. As a test you can put a jumper wire across the burned-out link to see what else does not work. The 120 amp fuse is a main power input to most the subsystems. The good news is typically does not damage any control computer's.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So basically I have to unbolt the positive battery lead and the covered positive wire lead and replace the entire grey box?

That is essentially what you need to do. The fusible link may be available separately. I'd have to look at the parts inventory to see what's available separate in this box. It's been a while since I've worked on one of these that have been jumped backwards. If you have the vehicle identification number I may be able to look that up. Once you pop the cover off the box you will be able to see if the links are burned.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

82620-42040 is the part number of the fusible link box. There is nothing available separate inside. The retail price on the fusible link box is about $40