lt1camaro03112
lt1camaro03112, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
64624869

Toyota prius: My 07 Toyota Prius is making a clicking or chunk

Customer Question

My 07 Toyota Prius is making a clicking or chunk sound when applying and releasing the brake pedal in gear. What could this be? Brake pads are almost new and brakes seem to work correctly.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  lt1camaro03112 replied 2 years ago.

lt1camaro03112 :

You are probably just hearing the shift interlock system. You have to put your foot on the brake to shift out of gear. When you put your foot on the brake pedal you hear the shift actuator move which allows you to shift out of gear. This is completely normal and if you dont hear that noise you will have issues shifting into gear.

Customer:

It makes the noise while driving too.

Customer:

while driving and applying the brakes I should add. Like something is grabbing and letting go. Makes me wonder if the CV joints are dry or suspect.

lt1camaro03112 :

Oh, ok. Your previous post said in gear. Do you hear the noise outside the vehicle or inside? The shift interlock may be operating everytime you use the brake pedal regardless if you are moving. I wouldnt suspect cv joints as they will give you a vibration if they were dry. Sometimes the brake pads have too much clearance in the caliper bracket and as you apply the brakes they move slightly and hit the bracket. Its not a safety issue, just a noise issue.

Customer:

sounds like it comes from outside of the cab under the hood or beneath the car. We recently had to replace the steering rack due to a failure of the steering column shaft link to the steering rack. That was an expensive repair and some noise preceded it. I'm just hoping to avoid another expensive potentially dangerous failure incident such as that.

lt1camaro03112 :

Very understandable, the shift interlock is located in the right rear of the engine compartment so you would be able to hear it. If it will do it all the time I would recommend trying to narrow down the location of the sound or have it inspected by the toyota dealer to rule out a dangerous issue.

lt1camaro03112 :
Experience: Automotive Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will something in the suspension system cause this noise like the stability control? Seems like it occurs on abrupt decel on the throttle as often as on the brakes or when accellerating hard. Wife keeps bugging me about it.
It is definitely possible. There are many parts and components to the suspension system. These are sometimes difficult to find unless a technician drives the car to witness the noise and try to track it down.