Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota RAV4: Check engine, VSC Trac & Trac Off warning lights

Customer Question

Check engine, VSC Trac & Trac Off warning lights are on. Have had fuel filler resealed and gas cap assembly replaced. Lights came on again this morning. This will be third trip to dealership.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 2 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Hi

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Do you know what codes were stored in the computer that is causing the check engine light and VSC lights to come on?

Customer:

Code PO456

Genchi Genbutsu :

Is that the only code/s?

Customer:

Only one I have at the moment--I can go check my glove box if you'd like.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Yes please. Any and all information is helpful.

Customer:

Yes, that is the only code that is on any of my 2 receipts.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok, this is related to the EVAP system and is for a Very Small Leak. The last time you were in the Dealer for diagnosis, did the run a 'fog' machine on the system?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Also did they charge you for the 2nd visit and repair?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Just charged me for the gas cap the second time--no labor

Genchi Genbutsu :

I know that you are probably upset by this reoccurring again. Have you been in touch with the Service Director about this yet?

Customer:

Not yet.

Genchi Genbutsu :

At least gotten him/her involved with the repair?

Customer:

Will get him involved this Thursday at new appt. time.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Good, that is what needs to happen. They should provide you with a rental car at no cost to you also. You should request that a Toyota Master Technician work on it this time and use a fog machine to 'smoke' test for leaks. From my experience with the P0456 Very Small Leak code, they will find the leak with the Charcoal Cannister. This is the main item in the Evap system that captures the fuel vapors and measures the leak amount.

Customer:

Ok-- I will do as advised and let you know how all turns out. Thank you for your help Genchi !

Genchi Genbutsu :

My pleasure and please rate my service if you get a chance, Genchi

Genchi Genbutsu :

Please try now

Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finally got the problem fixed after replacing gas cap, filler line then, as you suggested the carbon canister. Bingo, been driving for a week and lights are still off---just hope it continues, Thanks again for you excellent advice !!
My pleasure.

Genchi