Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Camry: Seat belts get stuck. The seat belts are constantly

Seat belts get stuck. The seat belts are constantly folding over and getting stuck. What can I do about this?
Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

What the dealer is telling you is important. You need to make sure that the belt is retracted straight. However if you have a can of silicone spray spray the belt on both sides this will help lubricate the belt without damaging it and will help slide much easier with less chance of folding due to the retraction rate being faster.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Given the age of the vehicle, is there a part that might be worn and need replacement? Can I increase the spring tension?
There is no adjustment. if the return spring in the belt is too weak to retract it the belt assembly will need replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there not some explosives in that assembly that lock the belt on impact? Do I need to be careful around them? What is the access path for getting to the assembly?
The seat belt does have a pre tensioner that is part of the srs system that instantaneously retract the seatbelt about 4 inches on impact. The only precaution that you have to take is to remove the negative battery cable then wait about 15 minutes before working on the seat belt assembly. The assembly is bolted in behind the trim panel which will need removed.