Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Prius hybrid: Why is there a red triangle with an exclamation

Customer Question

Why is there a red triangle with an exclamation mark plus a red car sign also with an exclamation mark on the dashboard and display screen of my 2005 hybrid Toyota Prius
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

These warning symbols indicate there is a malfunction in one of the on board computer systems. This could be anything from something in the engine control computer or the hybrid control computer. Do you have a scan tool or any way to check for malfunction codes at least in the engine control computer? if you do not try pulling to a safe area and shutting the vehicle off then starting it back up so the ready light comes on several times in a row and see if the warning symbols go out. If they do not and you cannot get the code numbers remove the negative battery cable on the 12 V battery in the trunk and reset the system and try driving it again.