Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Corolla: my car is very sluggish when going up hills.

my car is very sluggish when going up hills. but runs great on flat.what could be the problem

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Toyota questions!

How many miles? Any recent service history CArb or EFI? How many miles?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lots of miles. no recent service history for carb or efi
IS the car fuel injected or Carbureted?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the fuel filter that would be the most common issue or the timing belt may have jumped time. Check the fuel flow and timing belt and compression and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the engine runs fine does not miss is only on hills i feal like it does not select to low gear
If you manually down shift do you still have sufficient power on hills?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This then brings us back to where we were before you need to confirm that you have good cylinder compression at least 160 PSI and you need to inspect the timing belt make sure it still and time. Make sure the carburetor float level is in the middle of the sight glass on the side of the fuel bowl. Make sure the fuel filters not restricted. Make sure that you have good ignition spark. From the end of the plug wires spark should jump at least one quarter of an inch and be bright blue to any good ground surface.