Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota Highlander: 2006 Toyota Highlander 3.3L changing timing

Customer Question

2006 Toyota Highlander 3.3L changing timing belt. on removal, Camshaft marks were 60 degrees ahead of crankshaft TDC. This is not what my manuals says although the manual confuses me telling me to turn the crankshaft 60 degrees counter clockwise before installing the belt, then counterclockwise another 30 degrees. What is correct? I am afraid setting the marks dead on will be a mistake.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Hi

Genchi Genbutsu :

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Genchi Genbutsu :

Are you installing a new OEM Toyota belt?

Customer:

Dayco replacement

Genchi Genbutsu :

Ok. Does the Dayco have 3 marks on it indicating the 2 cam and 1 crank positions?

Genchi Genbutsu :

This can help....

Genchi Genbutsu :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes, but not instruction with it. The marks don't say the position but I matched up by marking the old belt camshaftmarks to marks the same distance apart on the new belt.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Thats good. How do the marks compare to the picture link I showed you?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Do the marks line up?

Customer:

I don't understand how the third mark should align with the crank shaft. Should the belt be inserted so that upon rotation the third mark will align with the mark on the crank shaft?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Look, forget about the book and rotating the engine. Do you have the marks all lined up like in the picture?

Customer:

I can do that. Is that all. The third belt mark will not align with anything (belt mark/line) if I do it as shown.

Genchi Genbutsu :

As long as the marks on the cams and crank all line up with the marks in the back (like the picture shows) then you are good. Don't waste your time rotating the engine like the repair manual says. If its lined up then its lined up.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Sorry about that, Im back.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Do the marks line up?

Genchi Genbutsu :

Hello?

Customer:

I was out looking at the car.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Oh, I thought you left me. :)

Customer:

The marks line up. There is not any offset in the marks? How could it have been so far out exactly 60 degrees when I removed to old belt?

Genchi Genbutsu :

That I'm not sure what happened as I want there. Maybe it moved on you?

Genchi Genbutsu :

As long as the marks line up and the belt is tight, you're golden.

Customer:

OK I will do as you say and keep my finger crossed. I will respond when I attempt to start the car. If you have any further comments I will check in later. DV

Genchi Genbutsu :

You will be good, Trust me.

Genchi Genbutsu :

Do you want me to wait till you start the car? How much more work do you have?

Genchi Genbutsu :

I will switch this to a Q&A session so I can help other customers. Please respond back and check your Email for replies. Genchi

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The mark that was 60 degrees off was the gear mark which I was using not the sprocket mark I was supposed to be using. I finally figured it out. I only started the car after I figured it out, so thankfully no damage occured.
I'm glad you got this fixed. Great Job!

Genchi