Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1993 Toyota Camry: its leaking engine oil..nuts..gasket..oil leak

I have a 1993 Toyota Camry and its leaking engine oil from a round circular cover secured by about (3) nuts.I believe this is the oil filter housing gasket its leaking from but i am not sure.
This part is located to the right of the oil filter and behind the exhaust pipe connected to the exhaust manifold.Could someone help me identify this part and advise how to stop this oil leak?
Thanks for your help.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail. Is this a 4 cylinder, or a V6? Thanks

Customer:

6 cylinder.3vz-fe engine code.

Toyota Service :

That aluminum device is the oil filter adapter

Toyota Service :

It connects to the block, and provides a convienent location for the oil filter.

Toyota Service :

Your gasket is most likely leaking; there is oil pressure passing thru this when the engine is running

Toyota Service :

the rectification is to obtain another gasket, remove the adaptor, clean the mating surfaces and refir the adaptor with a the new gasket

Toyota Service :

refit sorry for the typo

Customer:

Just to ensure we are speaking of the same part, this oil filter adapter is located to the right of the oil filter and how many nuts secure it?

Toyota Service :

My personal car is a 93 camry SE-V6. Great car.

Toyota Service :

Correct. The oil filter is located at the left of the aluminum adapror, it mounts horizontally under the front exhaust manifold. The port on the engine is where you are seeing your leak. On my car, I see two nuts on studs; there may be a third, the lighting is not great outside today

Customer:

Would you be able to provide a part# XXXXX what is your mileage? Mine is 451,000 kms?

Toyota Service :

237,000 miles.

Toyota Service :

Sorry, my book does not list this gasket seperatly, I only have the entire gasket kit part number. You can purchase this gasket at your nearest Toyota dealer parts dept

Toyota Service :

Ask for the "oil filter extension housing gasket"

.

Customer:

C

Customer:

Can i buy this separately?

Toyota Service :

Yes

Customer:

Part #?

Toyota Service :

I am sorry, I do not have the part number for this gasket. ALl I have is the part number for the entire gasket set. Apologies.

Toyota Service :

The flat rate time on this job would be 48 minutes.

Customer:

What is the name of this gasket set, just in case?

Toyota Service :

Engine overhaul gasket set; V6 Part number 04111-62050 The cost is high, $401.13 US dollars

Toyota Service :

That is why I suggest obtaining the part seperatly.

Customer:

Thank you.
Since you have the same vehicle, i also need to replace the hydraulic power steering line going to the radiator fan.Do you know where the other end is connected to?

Toyota Service :

You are very welcome.

Toyota Service :

let me check on that for you

Toyota Service :

The pressure line comes from the power steering pump. After passing thru the hydraulic fan motor, it passes thru a small oil filter, the power steering fluid cooler, and then returns to the power steering reservoir.

Toyota Service :

The power steering pump on this model has two functions, providing fluid pressure to the rack and pinion, and, providing pressure to operate the cooling fan

Toyota Service :

Both fluid 'return lines' come back to the power steering reservoir

Toyota Service :

Do you have any other questions for me today? Thanks

Customer:

Where is the ps fluid cooler located?

Toyota Service :

In front of the radiator, a long loop of tubing

Toyota Service :

you may have some fins on it; after 451,000 km, your cooling fins may be rusted off if you are in a area prone to allow rust

Customer:

Thanks very much for your help.Nice talking to you. I will now accept.

Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience: 30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Toyota Service,
I was able to obtain a part # XXXXX the oil filter extension housing gasket.Would you be able to verify if it is correct if i give you the vin for the vehicle?
I don't want to take apart everything and find out it is the wrong part. Thank you.

Certainly. Please provide the full 17 digit vin.

input it with a space between each number or letter like this:

1 a 2 a 3 a 4 a 5 a 6 a ....etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vin # XXXXX XXXXX T 2 V K 1 2 F 5 P 0 1 4 7 0 2 2
PART # XXXXX listed as O-ring.
Give me a few moments to rtesearch that VIN and part number; thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do.

You are correct; that is the current part number. Looking at the parts catalogue, the seal is indeed called an o-ring.

Order the part, remove the three bolts, remove the old o-ring, slip on the new o-ring and bolt it back together.

You should be OK, unless the aluminum adaptor housing has a crack in it near the sealing surface.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

If you are satisifed with my input, please choose the "Great Service" rating icon. The two icons on the left are Negative ratings, which will indicate to Just Answer that I failed to provide you the correct information.

Thanks and have a great day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do i need to use black rtv silicone?

Not a bad idea to clean the block and the adaptor off with some good spray 'brake cleaner", then wipe on a thin layer of black RTV. Good call.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once again, thank you.Already accepted on June 21/12.

You are welcome.

Thanks for the accept; it was a pleasure to assist you on this request.

Have a great day.

Toyota Service, Toyota Expert