Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2008 Scion Xb: vsc light flashes & will not shut off...abs light

re:2008 Scion Xb. The VSC light flashes & will not shut off. Also the ABS light is on & will not shut off.

Are these the only warning lights on at this time?

They are supposed to turn on and then go off after the engine starts when the self test is completed.

Has anything been done recently to the suspension or brakes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand that they go on in the start up self test. They stay on all the time starting today. The VSC light blinks & the ABS light is on(not blinking).

NO recent brake or suspension work.
Thanks for the reply, the next step would be to get some trouble codes from the system, some autoparts stores can do this for free, autozone, advance auto etc, contact one of them before visiting because not all have the ability to access the VSC system, if that's not an option then you may have to go to a repair shop to have the trouble codes retrieved, you can then reply back here and let me know what code numbers were stored in the computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a code reader. It says;

NO CODES FOUND
Ok, are you sure the scantool can access the vsc/abs control system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know if my code reader can access the vsc/abs control system. It is a very basic & inexpensive reader, but it usually works.

I will go to the parts store & try to read any codes with their scantool.
Yes, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I used the scantool @ o'reilly's auto parts today---NO CODES SHOWN
Some of the autoparts stores can't access the skid control system, did you ask to make sure they can read more than just engine codes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me where the VSC wiring is located so that I can do some visual & continuity checking? Also, what is the relationship between the VSC & the ABS since both lights appeared @ the same time?

The VSC and ABS systems are actually integrated in one unit under the hood in the skid control ECU, you can easily see it, there will be a lot of steel brake lines going into what looks like a big aluminum block, the ECU is attached to it, there is also a large electrical connector on it, you may want to check this connector and the wiring to it.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then see if the lights turn back on right away, if so it may be a wiring problem, if it takes a while to come back it may be a component failure, speed sensor, yaw rate or deceleration sensor but these would or should, set diagnostic codes.

Just a couple of more suggestions, make sure all the tires are the same size,

Check the wiring at each wheel for the wheel speed sensors for any damage

Sometimes there can be debris on one of the sensors or the pick up wheels inside the housing, maybe cleaning and inspecting the sensors will help and turn something up, there have been some cases where rust has formed on the reluctor wheels in the bearing housings and some rare cases of hairline cracks in one of the reluctor wheels.

Another option is to check with a scantool that can do an active test for each wheel speed sensor under actual driving conditions and give live date in road speed for each wheel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the speed sensor on the left front today due to a damaged wire. The warning lights are still on. (the sensor cost $243.)

What obd port pins do I need to short short in order to perform the ABS/TCS - Zero Point Calibration?

I also cleaned & lubricated the traction control "off" switch which made no difference.
Sorry for the delay of my reply, I was out of town most of the day and did not have access to my computer. I'll look up the the terminal configuration where to put the jumper wire.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That did not solve the problem either.

I ordered a new VSC switch. It won't be in for a couple of days.

When you put the jumper in those terminals do most of the dash lights flash?

Do you have an actual code number that says "zero point calibration undone"?