Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My A/C button is not working on my 1999 toyota rav4.

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

If your air conditioning in not working, or working but not up to par, there can be a few different things that can cause this. There can be anything from restrictions in the system to your blend air door vents not working properly. First and foremost is look to see if your compressor is coming on. If all of your freon has leaked out or even if the freon level is a bit low, the computer will not turn on the compressor. This is to prevent damage to the compressor and the components. This is very common! If the compressor is cycling on and off, than the system is just slightly low on freon. This will cause the AC to work, but poorly. Look for moisture around the outside of the AC fittings. This will indicate a leak. If no moisture is detected, you might just be able to get away with recharge.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already replaced the compressor, but the problem is i cant fill it when the A/C button doesnt work, therefor i cant fill the compressor until it turns off.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
That is incorrect. You don't need the AC compressor button to work or even the AC to turn on in order to fill the AC system. I do it all of the time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to fill the other new compressor but its not taking anything. I tought the compressor nedded to be on to take the freo since it doesnt take any when off.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
What type of tool or machine are you using to fill the freon?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I use the normal hose the short one

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
No.. what type of machine are you using to install the freon?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just the hose no machine
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Thats your problem. I have never filled up an AC system without using an AC machine nor would I recommend doing so. It needs to be done using a professional AC machine. Hands down!

If for some reason that still does not work, then you have a restriction in one of your Ac components and the bad part or component will need to be replaced.