Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

How do i replace the ignition switch on my 2004 toyta tacoma

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer for your needs. Have you accessed the ignition switch yet? I asking about just removing the covers around it.

Also what problem are you having with the switch?

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to jiggle my key to get it out out the switch. I've tried lubricating it with grafite but, it isn't helping. I think I need to replace the tumbler mechcanism. I had it replace last year. But, now it's doing the same thing again.
What we do at the Dealer and what I would suggest that you do is have a new key cut by the VIN # XXXXX since you replaced the switch already, the 5 digit key code. This is the first and least expensive step to try. The newly cut key has much firmer/sharper edges that can fit the internal switch 'biscuits' better.

If that doesn't work, then we can talk about replacing the much more expensive key cylinder.

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have any key code. I want to know how to replace the key tumbler. I know I have to remove the underside of the dash cover (just a couple of screws) But I don't know how to remove the key tumbler part. That's what I want to know.
Are you able to turn the key at all? Maybe to the ACC position?

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was not satified with your answer. The proplem is my key won't go past ACC. I have to jiggle it to get it to turn completely off. Could it be that the linkage needs to be adjusted or do I have to replace it? If I need to replace it, how do I get the tumblers out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The truck starts fine. It will go off but the key won't go past the ACC section. I have to jiggle it to go past ACC. Sometimes it takes a while. I have to keep jiggling it and finally it turns off and the key comes out. I hope this helps.
So, you are able to get the key to the ACC position. Great!

There is no "linkage" in the switch to adjust. Just the biscuits that match the key cuts. That is why I suggest a brand new key cut by the vehicles VIN #. It is the cheapest, easiest and usually the only thing needed in these situations.

If you want to replace the switch, what you will need to do is access the under side of ignition switch, turn the key to the ACC position and then press in the small detent button on the underside of the switch, then pull the assembly out.

That will allow you to replace the switch or have the biscuits replace so that it works normally.

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I will try this. If it works I will accept your answer. Unforntunetly, I won't be able to try it until Friday or Saturday. I don't get home 'til late in the evening. Is this OK?
Yes, this is fine and please respond back if needed.

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Genchi,

Well, changing the ignition switch didn't fix my problem. I still have to jiggle the key to get it to go to the "off" position. Why is this happening? What do I need to do?

The only other possibility is the electrical portion on the back side of the switch but this seems a very odd concern. At this point it might be best to get a Professional repair shop to take a hands on look at this.

Genchi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, thanks

My pleasure.

Genchi