Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience

rx300: whining sound only on first gear...AWD..transfer case related

Customer Question

whining sound only on first gear. all other gears work perfect. rx300, YR2000, AWD, 68k. is this transmission or the transfer case related?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with your Toyota problem.

If the whining is only in first gear then it is not the transfer case that has the problem. The problem is in the transmission. The planetary gearset is what is making noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi David, to reassure myself, let me explain in more detail. the transmission was rebuilt after it died. After getting the car back I notice the whining sound only on the first gear. It makes the sound on first only and after it shift to 2nd gear the sound is gone. It also makes the sound when reducing from 2nd gear onto 1st gear. automatic transmission. The person that did the work is telling me that this may be the transfer case...???? Does the transmission have different planetary gearset for each shift (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ect.)? and how could this probem be corrected if your response is correct (planetary gearset)?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
There are a couple of planetary gearsets in the transmission. Each one is used differently for the corresponding gear range. That is why the noise goes away after the gear range shift to 2nd. The fix is to replace that planetary gear set in the transmission. If the problem were in the transfer case, the noise would be present in all gear ranges.
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certified. 25 yrs experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David, your resposes are very helpful.. It looks like i need to explain this to the mechanic shop who rebuild the transmission, as they are trying to tell me otherwise.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like they may be trying to avoid the issue. Thanks for using justanswer.