AMD
AMD, Toyota Certified
Experience:  Master Automobile Technician L1 Advanced Level Specialist
65953032

2003 Tacoma: brake lights are working..lock position..shifter..gears

Customer Question

My 2003 Tacoma will not shift out of park; however, the brake lights are working. The original issue was that I could not get the key into the lock position without working the shifter back and forth through the gears. However, after several weeks of this it no longer will come out of park. I took the cover off to expose the the working parts and it seems that a white switch that works a plunger switch is the issue because I took it off and it shifts fine. What I do not know is how to fix this problem because I guessing this is part of the interlock system.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AMD replied 4 years ago.

amd_hcds :

Hello and thank you for choosing just answer

amd_hcds :

If you are sure that your brake switch is working then we can cut to the chase and check the solenoid that releases the shift lock mechanism when you press the brake pedal so the vehicle can go out of park.

Customer:

I am positive the brake lights are working.

amd_hcds :

The shift solenoid is going to be located in the shifter area and will have a Blue wire with a red tracer and a white wire with a black tracer, Use a voltmeter to see if the solenoid gets power and ground by placing your black meter lead on the white\black wire and red meter lead on the blue\red wire and see if you have 12v with vehicle running and foot on the brake pedal.

amd_hcds :

You have a column shifter correct?

Customer:

Floor shifter

amd_hcds :

OK then you're going to have to take the center console to get to the solenoid.

amd_hcds :

Are you planning to fix the problem yourself?

amd_hcds :

Before you do anything could you check the 15A ACC fuse?

Customer:

I have the console off and I see the solenoid which has a plunger that activates a white locking mechanism, which I removed and the shifter works with it removed.

amd_hcds :

OK do you see the connector going to it?

amd_hcds :

Going to the solenoid I mean

Customer:

yes

amd_hcds :

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer:

It looks worn. The truck has nearly 200,000 miles on it.

Customer:

Yes

amd_hcds :

OK take the connector off of the solenoid and check the 2 pins with your voltmeter while the vehicle is running and foot on the brake pedal. See if the voltmeter says 12v.

Customer:

If this checks out then what because I will have to leave the computer to go check it.

amd_hcds :

If you have 12v across these two wires meaning you have a power and ground then your solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

amd_hcds :

If you don't have 12v across these two wires then we have another problem and we need to check other things

amd_hcds :

Let me know what you find.

Customer:

Will you wait while I check it

amd_hcds :

OK i'll be here

Customer:

Be back ASAP

amd_hcds :

OK

Customer:

It showed 18 volts on my meter but it is a ceap one

amd_hcds :

OK then you have voltage over there, Replace that solenoid and you'll be good. Also check the voltage across your battery terminals. 18V? That sounds like an overcharging alternator if your car was running when you did the test.

amd_hcds :

If you are satisfied with my answer please press ACCEPT so I can get compensated for my time.

amd_hcds :

If you have any other questions please let me know and i'll get back to you

Customer:

Thanks for your time, I acceted so you can get paid