Boxer54, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE Master tech with L1 certification, Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid: know how to change the timing belt

I need to know how to change the timing belt on a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid; any special tools required. Thank you,
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. Have you changed a timing belt in any other Toyota with the 3.0 or 3.3 liter engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. The Highlander is my wife's. I drive a VW and have a great mechanic at a little VW shop who referred me to you. I aked him if he would do it and he told me to ask here and forward him the response. He wanted to make sure there were no expensive tools required that he didn't already have or anything tricky he needed to know. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I was offline last night. There aren't any special tools required for this job, just normal hand and power tools. The timing belt installation on the hybrid is exactly the same as the non hybrid highlander engines. I do recommend a Toyota factory replacement belt, however, as it will be marked on the belt itself to help get it lined up correctly. Check with your mechanic and let me know if he needs any specific details or diagrams and I will be happy to get what I can together for you. I can get the whole step by step process together for you if needed, but I have the idea that will probably be a little overkill for your mechanic.