Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

1996 toyota camry: alarm..valet toggle switch..car started

Customer Question

HI my husband is try to disarm the alarm on my new 1996 toyota camry, but the valet toggle switch seems to have been knocked out of joint. How can we get the car started to get it to the mechanic (2 1/2 blocks away) to disarm it completely? Thanks
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 2 years ago.

ted ritter :

Hello, are the wires still connected to the switch and can the switch be moved to on/off?

ted ritter :

Is the red light on the dash flashing?

ted ritter :

It seems that the switch is still usable
Try doing this: when the light is flashing and the key is out of the ignition
flip the switch to the off position put the key in and turn it to on

ted ritter :

flip the switch to the on position

ted ritter :

the light should stop flashing meaning it's disarmed

Customer:

hi the red light is still flasking

Customer:

and i think the wires are still connected

Customer:

we tried flipping the switch to the on position but that is the issue we think the switch is broken

ted ritter :

If that does not work try this:
disconnect the negative battery terminal
put the key in to the on position
leave the door open
reconnect the battery
if the alarm stays off it should start

Customer:

ok one sec

Customer:

no it didnt work

Customer:

light is still blinking

Customer:

you there?

Customer:

hi

ted ritter :

Yes, just a moment.

Customer:

i didnt work

Customer:

k

ted ritter :

Look under the dash on the left side, check for any inline fuses that were put in when the alarm was installed and remove them.

Customer:

we dont see any the fuse boxes are under the hood

ted ritter :

Not under the hood, look under the left side of the dash, this is where they put the alarm computer, it will have a bunch of wires boing to it with a couple of fuses.

Customer:

the fuse boxes are under the hood

Customer:

ok one sec

ted ritter :

There are more fuses on the left side lower dash, there is a cover on them, the fuses for the alarm are usually UNDER the dash where the wiring is.

Customer:

ok looking

Customer:

i think my husband found it

ted ritter :

Remove any fuses that are not factory installed, they will be wired in to the wires and unplug the alarm computer connector.

Customer:

hi they dont see it

Customer:

or any that odesnt look factory installed

Customer:

k

ted ritter :

Ok, does the engine turn over but not start up?

Customer:

no nothing

Customer:

it was working right before this with no issue

Customer:

its the alarm for sure

Customer:

it turns on ect...but doesnt start

ted ritter :

Ok, I need to be sure I understand, does the starter turn the engine over?

Customer:

yes

ted ritter :

Ok, stand by for a minute.

Customer:

waid we did it

Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience: Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
Thanks for the reply and accepting, just curious, what was it that worked?