Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota Corolla (FWD): The airbag light is on in a 2007 Toyota

The airbag light is on in a 2007 Toyota Corolla (salvage title) that airbag deployed in 2009. How much to replace the airbag? Could it just be a sensor?

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail. Thanks

Toyota Service :

Hi.

Customer:

Hello

Toyota Service :

The air bag or bags was/wer deployed? Both?

Customer:

apparently the driver side

Toyota Service :

The driver side air bag replacement part will run you about 700 dollars from a dealer parts department

Toyota Service :

However...

Toyota Service :

Toyota recommends, whenever an air-bag is deployed, to replace all of the sensors.

Toyota Service :

The front sensors are about 90-100 dollars each, and the center air bag sensor (the main electronic control) is about 350 dollars.

Customer:

salvage title car from IL - wouldn't it had to have been replaced to pass inspection and get re titled?

Toyota Service :

Also, the spiral cable assembly (the 'clock-spring') is an additional 250 dollars

Customer:

wow, so like 1300-1400 dollars total

Toyota Service :

Some states require the supplemental restraint system (the air bags) to be functional for inspection, some do not

Toyota Service :

Correct. Very expensive to repair

Toyota Service :

THat is why we find these cars in the salvage yards with light damage; the air bag replacement costs tip the scales to the side of "totalling" the car

Customer:

and the only way to tell for sure is to take it into a dealer. ANy chance the airbag is there but a sensor problem?

Toyota Service :

A dealer can hook up their scan tool to the car, and read the failure codes. It could be something as simple as replacing the clockspring. Without the codes, all I would be doing would be speculating

Toyota Service :

The code(s) will indicate what is needed to rectify the situation

Toyota Service :

Most dealers will scan the vehicle for a reasonable cost.

Customer:

ok, this is a great help. I now will not purchase the car without verification the airbag is there

Toyota Service :

If you press on the horn pad, on the wheel, there should be a significant resistance.

Toyota Service :

...as in something there, under the vinyl.

Toyota Service :

I have observed cars come in with an intact horn pad, and noi bag installed. Apparently, there are people manufacturing pads to hide the fact that the bag is missing. Nefarious, but it is happening.

Toyota Service :

Yes. Do not purchase the car until you know exactly what the replacement costs are going to be. Add in a passenger side airbag, you can spend up to 2800 dollars parts and labour

Customer:

ok, thanks. You have been a great help. I think I will pass on purchasing this vehicle