Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota Corolla: removing ignition lock cylinder from 1991 toyota

Customer Question

removing ignition lock cylinder from 1991 toyota corolla without a key
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 4 years ago.

ted ritter :

Hello, it is very difficult to get the lock cylinder out without a key since the key has to be turned to the ACC position to push the release pin to get it out. You can drill the center of the cylinder out which is messy and may damage the lock housing. One solution is to contact the dealer or a locksmith and give them the VIN# either may be able to use this number to make a new key for you so the key can be turned. If that is not an option then you can remove the right side door panel and remove the door lock cylinder from it, there is a key code number stamped on the side of the lock, a locksmith can use this number to make a key.

Customer :

It is not the orginial key cylinder and my daughter lost the key

ted ritter :

Ok then that changes things a little, did this key also work in the door locks or were there two keys one for ignition and one for the doors?

Customer :

one for the ignition and a separate different key for the door lock

ted ritter :

That's what I was afraid of, the vin# and door lock code number will not work then. Unless you are willing to drill the lock out or remove and replace the lock housing you're going to have to get a locksmith or the toyota dealer involved, sorry but I don't have any better answer for you.

Customer :

how to you remove and replace the lock housing

ted ritter :

It's a little involved, you have to drop down the steering column then remove the two bolts that connect the lock housing to the steerring column, the problem is that these are antitheft bolts which have round heads, we usually use a chisel to make a slot in the bolt head and then try to remove them with a large screwdriver, or drill them out. The new bolts have a head on them that breaks off when tightened, this is an antitheft feature.