Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics

Toyota Camry: hello.. how much should it cost to replace a

Customer Question

hello.. how much should it cost to replace a starter at a toyota dealership
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Is this the 4-cylinder or the 6-cylinder?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
The Dealer starter sells for around $297 and the labor time guide calls for .6hr to complete the job. Labor rates vary from Dealer to Dealer, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was just quoted 675.00 soounds a bit high

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Sounds excessively high. To be perfectly honest- I'm not a big fan of sending people to the Dealer unless it's the last option. I'm from a "Mom & Pop" garage, and am a firm believe that local shops can do JUST as good of a job, if not better. This is a piece of cake job for someone with Toyota experience. At a local shop, you can get a Starter for a third of the price a Dealer sells it for, and most local shops warranty their parts and labor for a year. After market starters are just as good, and last just as long as Dealer starters, believe it or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe it but did not have a choice in this case.. normally do not go to a dealer. I think that even if at a dealer, this job should not be more than $450.00.. Thanks for the info.. I itend to address it.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

I agree with you. The price was excessive.

Glad I could help! Have a great day!